Build Insulated Hen Coop - My experiment

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I don't have choice... for my laying hens, -43F its too cold...

I built insulated and heated hen house for them... and its ok.

See ---> My insulated Chicken Coop and my Summer Hen house

Welcome:
Chicken-House-2.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bonsoir Jardinier,

C'est magnifique, tres bien.

Vous avez les Poulles chaud maintenant :)

Reaction score
It looks like you're quite handy. I think your hens will enjoy that as long as you don't have too many otherwise it might be a bit small. I agree that this weather is definitely too cold though. Enjoy your eggs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You're very talented, Jardiner, this hen house looks great and very tidy. And it's heated! It sounds like a perfect place for hens:)

Reaction score
Where I live - most of the chicken owners prefer to let their chickens roam everywhere - but saying that - there are also many that choose to build something very similar to your " summer hen house " where they let the chickens go for shelter at night and think that a " luxury hen house " is a pretty neat idea - especially as we too experience very cold winter temperatures.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
That winter house ought to keep your ladies warm and happy! We don't have to insulate here in Texas, although I do have two heat lamps for cold winter nights, and two large box fans for the hot summer days. Our ladies have an outside coop for daytime, but they come in at night where their high roosts are.

Attachments

• Outside time for the ladies.jpg
    Outside time for the ladies.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 332
Reaction score
We have insulated our coop as well, but ran into problems with then hens picking and eating the exposed insulation panels. We ultimately had to remove them or find a pleasing way to better encapsulate them.

Reaction score
Congratulations, that's one fine looking hen house. It makes me want to build one myself. What made you do this. Have you ever raised chickens before?

Ask a Question