Buffalo grass

Reaction score
I've recently replaced my lawn with Buffalo grass, a brand here called Sir Walter..
So far I am loving it, it's easy to fertilize, mow and feels lush and thick under foot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds good, I'm glad it's working out well for you! Has Queensland been having the really high temperatures I've seen in the news?

Reaction score
Sounds good, I'm glad it's working out well for you! Has Queensland been having the really high temperatures I've seen in the news?
Interesting point about the heat too, most grass tends to start looking a little worse for wear after a 40c day, but the Sir walter just seemed to lap it up and actually grow really nicely, on days like that I never water it through the day.

I'm lucky to be fairly close to the coast in a very breezy spot, but we have had some 40c days over the last week.. We did get a crazy intense storm last night which lasted all of 20 minutes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pleased to hear it's been doing so well! (y)

Wow 40C is hot, I think I'd melt. It seems we are a planet of two halves at the moment - crazy hot weather on one side, abnormally low temperatures on the other!

Reaction score
I've been noticing the storms you guys have been getting in the news, they look crazy! Winter time here rarely drops under 18c, if we had that sort of weather the whole world would just stop...

I would also have a dead lawn hahaha!

Speaking of which how do you go about re establishing your lawn at the start of every summer? Does the grass actually die, or does it just start growing again from where it left off?

Reaction score
Country
United States
A note about common names and the confusion they can cause.

In Australia, South Africa, and elsewhere, the grass known in North America as St. Augustine Grass (Stenotaphrum secundatum) is commonly called Buffalo Grass. Sir Walter Buffalo Grass (Stenotaphrum secundatum 'Sir Walter') is one of a number of cultivated strains intended for use as a turf grass in warm tropical conditions.

In North America, another unrelated turf grass for drier conditions is commonly known as Buffalo Grass or Buffalograss (Bouteloua dactyloides). it too has a number of cultivars.

Other grasses that are sometimes referred to as Buffalo Grass include Anthoxanthum odoratum (syn: Hierochloe odorata), Brachiaria mutica, Megathyrsis maximus (syn: Panicum maximum), and Paspalum conjugatum. This is likely not a complete list.

Ask a Question