Brugmansia Advice Please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I have been a fan of this family of plants for sometime now. Several years ago I made an attempt at growing these from cutting received in a trade. At the time, I had not read up on the species and they did not survive. I am trying this again with more knowledge than I had the first time. I now have 16 rooted cutting that are doing well. I have brought them inside for the winter months. They have reached a height of about 3 feet per plant.

My question is this, should I keep the plants inside in the warmth and allow them to grow over the winter, or should I put them in the colder garage to go dormant for the remainder of the winter? I am really in hopes of blooms in the next growing season. Any info would be great! Also interested in any other tips you guys can provide for this plant either during the winter months or once they are ready to move outside. I do know they are heavy feeders and seem to enjoy lots of water. Anything else?

Thanks so much in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Angel-trumpets (Brugmansia spp. and hybrids) are shrubs or small trees in the Nightshade Family (Solanaceae), native to tropical South America. Some or possibly all species are thought to be extinct in the wild, and are mostly maintained as cultivated plants. Besides their beautiful and enormous flowers, Brugmansia are also grown for their potent alkaloids, which have been used by humans as medicine, poison, and as psychotropic drugs. Though Brugmansia plants usually remain evergeen in tropical and subtropical climates, they can survive induced doramncy for a several months or more. This ability to be kept overwinter in a leafless state, in a cool, dark environment allows gardeners in temperate climes to keep large specimens of these plants indoors during Winter.

Ask a Question