Brown spots with yellow edges on leaves - diagnosis?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to indoor plants and two of my beloveds have unpleasant looking brown spots with a yellow halo round the edge on their leaves.

I'm including a picture so you can see where they live and the level of damage.

FYI, I let the soil dry out before watering and have been sparing over the winter months. Also the window is not south facing so they don't get much if any direct sunlight.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20220226_121631327_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Bothe the Flamingo Flower (Anthurium cv.) and Ceriman (Monstera deliciosa) will want bright indirect light, regular water and good drainage. Fertilize occasionally with a complete fertilier during active growth.

Your description of plant care sounds adequate. This problem may involve a leaf spot pathogen, but recognize that fungal diseases often take hold when cultural parameters are not correct.

Double check the soil and pots for good drainage. Make certain the plants don't sit in puddles of water. Soil should be completely moistened every irrigation, but should not remain saturated. Conversely, don't let the soil become completely dry either.

Sun scorch and temperature fluctuations are other possibilities.

Pruning of the dead spots may be advisable. Those leaves will always be permanently damaged. If you do this, realize you don't need to remove the entire leaf, but do cut into fully green tissue. Sterilize the tool with alcohol between each cut.

Hopefully with longer, brighter days, this problem will abate, and fresh growth will replace what has been damaged.

Ask a Question