Bromeliad

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with bromeliads? I had one and it was so beautiful for a while but when the flower died I don't know if I did something wrong by cutting off the dried out part or something. Do they re-flower? Mine didn't seem to show any signs of a new flower coming. I am just not sure what to expect from this plant or how to take care of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have one that I am growing now that someone gave me from their yard. It hasn't bloomed, but they grow up from the center so it is possible you stunted the growth depending on where you cut it. Where did you get the plant? It didn't come with a plant tag or instructions? The new tags have a thing for you to scan for more info on the plant.

Reaction score
Unfortunately beautiful as they are Bromeliads only ever bloom once - however that doesn't mean that all is lost.

As generally speaking once the plant has finished flowering - providing you carry on with its normal care - it then switches its energy into producing new offsets known as pups - which on most varieties of Bromeliad - are usually found either under the outside leaves of the plant or inside the leaves around the base of the plant and although this process can go on for quite some time before the mother plant runs out of energy - its best to leave the pups attached to the mother plant for as long as possible before removing them to make new plants.

Reaction score
I got it at a grocery store. I don't remember if the tag had anything to scan, but I don't have a devise to scan it with, or at least I do not know how to scan things with an ipod touch. It definitely did not tell me that they only flower once, I wish they had though, that would have been nice to know ahead of time.

Ask a Question