Broccolli

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Did anyone else have a problem with their broccoli this summer? My friend who lives in Michigan says every year since the 7 years she has been in her home they have been able to grow broccoli except for this year! She doesn't know what happened. I thought I would ask any of you how your broccoli came out this year? It was a rough winter but I don't know why that would have effected it unless somehow the soil had a problem. What do you think?

Reaction score
I don't think the winter would impact something that you planted in the spring. Do you have any photos of it? Broccoli can get a worm that you might not see unless you cut the crown or the stem open.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I don't think the winter would impact something that you planted in the spring. Do you have any photos of it? Broccoli can get a worm that you might not see unless you cut the crown or the stem open.

Oh Thank you for that! I will take pictures today and try to post it. We are cutting her lawn and so will have access to the garden. It might just be the worms because they did some new landscaping and who knows, maybe the new grass and dirt brought in the worms that messed up the broccoli growth. Thanks!

Reaction score
Could be, bugs do seem to like the taste of broccoli. It also could be a soil problem too, the nitrogen could be low. Also, if you had a frost or significant cold when you transplanted them that could be an issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Yesterday I was all ready to take pictures and they had mowed it down! I couldn't believe it. They said they want to try having their garden in these new garden boxes they bought so that they don't have to bend or kneel as much. I couldn't take any photos of the bad broccoli but I am interested to see how the garden boxes do this summer, its a good idea I think for people who don't have a yard.

Ask a Question