Broccoli Questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I grew broccoli for the first time last year in late winter of 2016 and had about three plants produce; a neighbor gave me the seeds, which were kind of old, so probably why only three plants survived.

I've always heard that broccoli is a cold-weather plant and that idea was confirmed to me after they all died around this time of year (if not a little earlier) last summer. I allowed all plants to flower (because the bees loved them) and then go to seed and the birds seemed to like the seeds, but they didn't eat all of the seeds, because this past winter I had about a dozen new broccoli pop up as volunteers.

So now my question: The majority of the plants are still here and producing flowers and seeds. Granted they are not as robust as earlier in the year when the temps were much cooler, but I'd expect to not see any, based on what I've heard and what I experienced last year; furthermore, I seem to have some new growth and even some seedlings coming up -- what gives:confused:??

I will add this: it was much hotter last year -- when people complain about the hot temps, I mostly scoff, maybe because I'm kind of use to it and I think there are just a lot of wimps out there that love their AC too much; however, even I admit, that last year was freakin' hot:devil:

But this year hasn't been as bad, so I'm wondering if that's why they seem to be surviving longer, albeit not thriving, but nonetheless they are surviving. Please explain to me about broccoli and hot temps, or at least add a little more precision to my understanding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Here in Texas broccoli "bolts" in warmer temperatures. It flowers and sets seeds rather than forming those lovely edible heads. We can't keep broccoli going much later than mid-May, and that's during an usually cool spring (which we had this year--even summer isn't the broiling pan it usually is by this time.)
The new young leaves are edible, and make a nice addition to a salad. You might have something harvestable from your volunteers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Interesting you use the term "bolts". If I understand you correctly, that's what I'm observing, by that I mean that the head of flowers (buds) are not concentrated as they are when normal broccoli is formed; rather each flower is attached to a very long stem and they're very much separated from the other flowers and there is not nearly as many flowers as when normal broccoli forms. Also, the leaves are not nearly as big as they are in they are in cooler temps.

I'm wondering if I should just cut and drop the plants now and "put them out of their misery":confused::D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here are a couple pics of the pathetic looking broccoli, but hey it's living and it is a host plant, so I guess I'll let it keep doing what it's doing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Tjohn, thank you for the photos, which illustrated "bolting" much better than my description.
Plants in the brassica and mustard families are hosts to butterfly larvae, so I'd leave the bolting broccoli if you don't need the space for another crop.
If you want to start your own broccoli plants, plant the seed inside or in a controlled environment in August, and set out the plants in October. Mind you, this is for Texas zone 8b, so adjust the planting time for your area.

Ask a Question