Broccoli/Brassica Damage

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in the southwest and I noticed today that my brassicas, especially my broccoli and cauliflower, are looking a little beat up. We have a ground squirrel problem I'm trying to deal with, and I thought maybe it was that, but now I'm not so sure. Sections of the older leaves are wilting and it doesn't look consistent enough to be frost damage, although maybe it is? We have pretty mild frosts here, although we were hit last week by a few.

It doesn't look particularly mildewy or moldy, and there's no insect damage beside some grasshopper nibbles. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks!

Attachments

• broccoli damage 2.jpg
    broccoli damage 2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 268
  • broccoli damage.jpg
    broccoli damage.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think it could be frost damage. It appears as if the leaves were 'burned' by something. Frost could definitely do it. As long as the rest of the plant is healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. How are they doing now? Have you harvested yet? I sure wish I lived somewhere I could grow plants like that in the winter!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Frost would not have damaged "sections of the leaves".
Does not look like animal damage either.
How old are these older leaves?

Ask a Question