"Brilliant " idea for a planter !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I saw this picture, and just love this idea for a glow in the dark flower planter. It is SO easy to make, also. You just paint the planter with glow in the dark paint, and during the day, it absorbs the sunlight, and at nite, it will glow like it was lit up. I think this would work for anything you wanted to give a special feature in your yard and garden.
This also made me think that maybe a planter decorated with those glow stars ( like you put in kids bedroom ceilings) would be really pretty, as well.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Those luminescent planters are gorgeous. I love that idea. I don't get to keep my current yard, since I'm looking for an apartment, but maybe I can do that with containers on a balcony. If you really wanted to get psychedelic, you could paint some little ceramic fairies with the glow-in-the-dark paint and nestle them among the planters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion it looks a little too modern. Personally, I prefer very traditional planters. But I admit that it's a very unique and interesting idea, thank you for sharing it:)

Reaction score
i like 'em. someone else showed some in an earlier thread and they've been on my mental list of ideas to try when i get the chance since.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
In my opinion it looks a little too modern. Personally, I prefer very traditional planters. But I admit that it's a very unique and interesting idea, thank you for sharing it:)

I feel the same way. Now a couple of ACSAPA's luminous fairies hiding between some traditional planters might be more to my taste.

Reaction score
I like the glowing planters but I love the terracotta planter cum outdoor lights. The play of light and shadow in the natural environment are more to my liking as we had discussed in a couple of older threads. I had gifted a couple of those jars to my brother a few months ago. He has fixed them up with solar panels and the intricately designed planters look beautiful at night .

lampjar-1300129980.jpg

I couldn't find anything like them online. This is something close but those jars allow for more light to penetrate and have another pot fitted into the neck to allow you to grow plants above the jar.

Reaction score
Wow, that has to be the brightest glow-in-the-dark paint I've ever seen. Maybe they've improved it since I last saw glow paint, or altered the image? It does seem too garish to be really decorative. I could see painting fireflies on a planter with that paint, though.

Reaction score
Whee those planters really do set that area off. Never seen anything like them before and I was always on the hunt for different pots when I was in the UK. Whoever came up with that idea should start marketing them. Very impressive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The idea of painting fireflies or fairies, or something similar on the garden pots seems to me like a great idea also. I really like the glowing ones, ad I remember seeing the glow paint in different colors, so I would enjoy seeing them glowing I soft shades of yellow, pink, green, and lavender, out in the used at nite.
I imagine that the glow would fade out fairly fast, like a half hour or so, but it would be pretty while it lasted.

Reaction score
I think if a stencil was used to break up the glowing effect it could work in many different styles of gardens.

This makes me want to paint parts of the front porch and house! It would certainly save money on electricity for outside lighting.

Reaction score
Wow, that has to be the brightest glow-in-the-dark paint I've ever seen. Maybe they've improved it since I last saw glow paint, or altered the image? It does seem too garish to be really decorative. I could see painting fireflies on a planter with that paint, though.

The image isn't altered, Rustoleum makes the glow-in-the-dark paint in the image. They definitely have improved glow-in-the-dark paint over the past few years.

Reaction score
Wow that's a very good idea, it's better than having those little glow in the dark lamps that don't work that well!

Reaction score
The idea of painting fireflies or fairies, or something similar on the garden pots seems to me like a great idea also. I really like the glowing ones, ad I remember seeing the glow paint in different colors, so I would enjoy seeing them glowing I soft shades of yellow, pink, green, and lavender, out in the used at nite.
I imagine that the glow would fade out fairly fast, like a half hour or so, but it would be pretty while it lasted.

This would be my choice also, as its a bit more subtle, and painting my terracotta pots entirely in luminous paint, apart from freaking the cats, is not something I would particularly want to do. However I agree with you, happyflowerlady, fireflies, fairies and maybe even butterflies, in differing shades of pink, blues and lavender, would be a magical evening display.
Although I do think that glow in the dark paint, would be great for lighting up, those particularly dark areas, where you wouldn't normally have any light

Ask a Question