Bridgwater - Taunton Canal

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, what a pretty horse. I like that little waterfall in the last pic. It looks like you had some beautiful weather that day, and that's a nice looking canal.
Thanks for sharing your photos.

Reaction score
That's it! I MUST go out and purchase a new camera! With all the beautiful things going on out there in the world I want to be clicking away!

Zigs...is that a lock in the first photo? It seems to be small. What size boats can fit through there? Do you take these shots as you're walking about or did you go for a drive?

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's about 15 mins drive from where I live. Nice quiet spot for a walk.

That is a Lock Babble, yes. They're wide enough for the Narrowboats that use them, you can see some in the second pic, people live on them. Some have lovely plants in pots on them, didn't see any that day though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The canal looks absolutely gorgeous, I love it. Canals always remind me of my beautiful Venice:D . Also, it reminds me of the city where I live.
The horse looks a little angry:p

Ad

Advertisements

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been to Venice too, lovely place, but it do smell in the Summer :D

Think the Horse was, he started walking towards me when I was crossing his field, so I got the other side of the fence:D

It's a pity my camera wasn't upto it, but the river was full of fish :) There are notices up in Polish along the rivers, saying that you're not allowed to take river fish for the table in England.

Reaction score
I've been to Venice too, lovely place, but it do smell in the Summer :D

Think the Horse was, he started walking towards me when I was crossing his field, so I got the other side of the fence:D

It's a pity my camera wasn't upto it, but the river was full of fish :) There are notices up in Polish along the rivers, saying that you're not allowed to take river fish for the table in England.

Okay, I'll bite. Why are the signs in Polish if they're in England?

Reaction score
Beautiful places, how could you pull yourself out of there? I would like a house near by.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful photos zigs! I love canals, my grandparents used to live on a boat in the Norfolk Broads and I loved visiting them there when I was a kid.

What is that big sphere?!

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool, never been to the Broads, they look a bit like the levels but wetter :D

Meant to be the Sun, there are milestone type things along the towpath representing the scale distances of the inner planets. Someone's idea of an art project I guess?

Ad

Advertisements

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I'll bite. Why are the signs in Polish if they're in England?

There are lots of Polish people in the area now, economic migrants. Think its traditional to eat river fish over there, so they don't know they are doing anything wrong by eating them over here.

Nearly all our inland waters are catch and release only. And you need to join the local angling club for each stretch of river.

Sea fishing is different, you can take them to eat, except eels, they are protected now due to population crash.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Personally, I've never eaten any river fish and I don't know anyone who would. Unfortunately rivers here are too polluted.
So no, it's not a Polish tradition to eat river fish, lol:p At least not in my area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool, never been to the Broads, they look a bit like the levels but wetter :D

Meant to be the Sun, there are milestone type things along the towpath representing the scale distances of the inner planets. Someone's idea of an art project I guess?

Ooh that's an excellent idea! :)

Jed

Reaction score
zigs always great to see your pictures. Mid summer in all it's beauty. I've never been to any canals. The history of those in Britain and Europe have always fascinated me. When I'm over to the UK hopefully in two years I'll get to see them first hand and get to do some walks around the Cornwall coast.:)

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta Jed :)

We got a Canal just down the back of us, its not as nice though, it was bought up by the railway before it was completed, so I don't think it really got used.

NIGHTMARE - Camera's broken. Just dead, won't switch on, won't charge :(

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score

We got a Canal just down the back of us, its not as nice though, it was bought up by the railway before it was completed, so I don't think it really got used.

I have been frustrated each time I've been without my camera in nature lately! My old one "eats" batteries, my cell camera takes poor photos, and I can afford a new camera just now. So...I feel your pain, zigs. I've thought so many times how I'd like to post pictures of hikes or time by our beautiful lake, but I can't because I can't take them! :(

Jed

Reaction score
I have been frustrated each time I've been without my camera in nature lately! My old one "eats" batteries, my cell camera takes poor photos, and I can afford a new camera just now. So...I feel your pain, zigs. I've thought so many times how I'd like to post pictures of hikes or time by our beautiful lake, but I can't because I can't take them! :(

My camera is a bit of a battery eater but after I started using lithium batteries they seem to last for ever.It takes 2 double A's and I carry two as spare.
I recently thought my camera had died but it turned out the batteries were flat because they last so long.:rolleyes:
One of my pet hates is when I leave my SD card in the computer and when I'm out and about take photos which aren't recorded. I wish my camera would have an indicator telling me it's empty of a card.
I think zigs has experienced this earlier this year.:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Uh oh, have you tried a replacement battery or do you think it's the camera itself?

Ad

Advertisements

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Twice I've got to places & forgot the card :D

It may well be the battery, the camera isn't that old. I've put it in the car for when I go near the shops. Very frustrating not having a camera, especially when there's a Goldfinch inches away from you.

Ask a Question