Breaking dormancy

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Some vegetables have dormant seeds which take a long time to germinate or fail to germinate at all. This is due to seed dormancy caused by hormonal inhibitors, tough seed coat amongst other factors. I have observed this condition in water melon seeds as well as sweet capsicum seeds. There are various methods of breaking seed dormancy like chilling, burning amongst others. How do you deal with seed dormancy?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I really have no experience here but I am very interested and curious now. Seems like something that can be done pretty easily to get rid of the inhibitors and speed things up, but the first thing that came to my mind was things like GMO's and chemicals, which of course are not really positive thoughts. I am not sure if that is even applicable here, or if things like that are used to help this process, but if so I am glad to hear that there are other ways like burning and chilling to do the same. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We usually germinate seeds of mangoes, cashews and sugar apple. We do that almost every year because of the regular requests in our circle for planting materials of the said fruit trees. For the sugar apple, we soak the seeds in water for 2 to 3 hours before planting it in the soil. That would hasten the germination. For the mangoes, we get the seeds from ripe mangoes so after eating, the seeds for planting is stored for a week in the cellar or under the shade. And then we wash it very well before planting. And for the cashew, we plant the seeds directly on the ground, no need for pre-germinating procedure.

Ask a Question