Boundary Fence..Hedges - Trees - Shrubs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I need some sound advice, I'll try and keep it brief....

For a number of year we have lived / Rented 3 Semi detached town house which has a slopping garden at the rear with 6ft boundary fence between our property and the one next door..... and we have enjoyed our privicy whereas the neighbours cannot see in our garden and vise versa.......

This was until a few weeks ago when our neighbours decided to build a platform deck at the very end of his garden, whilst it was comical how he built it.... now we find that when they are on this structure they can not just only see into our garden but its possible that they can see in my rear living room.....

Other half spoke with the landlord and from the impression I got they where as unhelpful as a chocolate fire guard....... then I spoke with the council who inform me that even putting a screen at the top of the fince would only give me about 5inchs to the max allowed height of 2m... any higher and we would need planning permission at a cost of £180 and not much chance of it being approved......

But then the guy in the council office suggested " why not plant something along the boundary line "

Ok Im down with that... but what happens when it reached the fence height and above where I want it to be...... isnt there going to be issues with the height and possible claim from next door of obstructing natural light.....

Seems to me you can invade someones privicy without planning consent but to get it back
is like a mine file of possible challenges.....

Anyway can someone offer the best way forward... types of hedges / trees that has good growth and can be kept neat and tidy without putting any forceale pressure on the current fencing.... dont want to give them more ammunition to use......

PS same time theyve painted there side of the fence with a nasty dark green / grey...... and my side of the boundary fence looks pretty bad no the paint has seeped through

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Paul. :) I think the only way you can get round this without upsetting the council is to build an arbour and grow climbers up and over it, assuming your landlord would agree to it. Without positioning it to close to the fence it could be built to cut out your neighbours view. Stand in your living room and visualise where it would need to be placed and the overall measurements that would be needed to blot your neighbours out. The link below may give you inspiration.....

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...vt=arbour+images&qpvt=arbour+images&FORM=IGRE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There are often planning restrictions on the height of structures in gardens, but different rules usually apply to plants. Given that the guy in the planning office suggested this I don't imaging you'd have any problems. I'd say go for a tall hedge :)

Ask a Question