Bought a house and I have no idea what's growing lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Can someone help me with some identification on a few things? I bought a house that was built in the 20's and after doing some work over the last year, I got things popping up. I got more to share, but I'll start out with a few. I have some huge bushes and I am not sure if I should remove them or keep them. Thank you in helping me on this one :)

Bush # 1...I think it flowers and has berries on it at the end of the year. Not sure if it's honeysuckle or an invasive species. I am in Michigan zone 6. Its super tall too, got to be well over 10 foot

Bush #2 (the white one) and #3 (green). They look similar, but one is flowering the other isn't. Extremely fragrant

Bush # 3

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
I'm sorry I didn't realize I should separate it. I don't believe I can edit it at this point. On the bush next to the spirea (I'm thinking this is what it is thank you btw!), I thought it was the same kind of bush. I'll have to go check to see if it is thorny. I don't recall it being that way, but then again I haven't really inspected it a whole lot either.

Reaction score
No need to apologies...3-5 plants per thread makes it easy to have a discussion. Adding more queries later can get confusing..hence suggestion to start new thread for queries 5/6/7.

3. Maybe I am miles out....A close up pic of the leaves would help.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honeysuckle tends to be a bushy vine if that makes since and does have a fragant aroma. The plant that you say is fragrant does it smell like honeysuckle or jasmine?

Reaction score
Lonicera...or Honeysuckle can be climbers but several are also shrubs.
eg. Lonicera fragrantissima, L. x purpusii, L.syringantha, L. Alberti. L.Elisea. etc.

Some are even tiny ground cover plants..eg Lonicera crassifolia.

Without clear pics of the flowers I would not like to guess which one Dreams of Rural Living has.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
I'll try to get pictures of the flowers once they show up. I'm pretty sure at the end of the year, there are little red berries on it? The cardinals seem to love it. I want to say the flowers are either white or a pale yellow. What's weird is I grew up in the south and I know honeysuckle, but all the ones I have experience with were vines. I wanted to make sure it wasn't an invasive species of honey suckle. I read an article about a couple species in Michigan causing problems. The other thing that sucks is there is a tree growing right in the middle of it lol.

The bush is VERY fragrant. It's comparable to the strenght of these pink peonies that suddenly popped up last year. I'm not sure if it smells like honeysuckle, it's been many years since I have actually smelt one. I've been living in the city too long

Ask a Question