Boston Ivy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

You could grow Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) in a container for X number of years until it finally starts to decline due to being rootbound. This true of any woody plant. At that point it needs to be planted out, potted up, or replaced. Of course, choosing a large container will give you more time.

There is also the option of doing an annual root-pruning, That is how Bonsai are kept in containers for centuries. However, with larger plants that becomes too laborious and awkward to be a practical soluiton. Also there is some risk. If not done correctly and at the right time of year, root-rpuning can quickly a plant for obvious reasons.

One additional thing to consider with any large vine a container is that the tendrils will fasten to nearby walls and stuctures. That supplies the unusual situation of having a plant's stems be more firmly anchored in one place than the roots. Not a problem, until you want to move the pot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One additional thing to consider with any large vine a container is that the tendrils will fasten to nearby walls and structures.
And quite possibly damage them. Maybe worth considering some kind of support and a free growing plant, I have morning glories, runner beans and climbing french beans all over the shed I use for writing my Storyshack, Youtube channel stories. Not only do I get beans at the end of the day, the runners have red and white flowers (A variety called St George) and the french beans pretty violet ones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not going to argue that clinging vines could never increase wear and tear on a wall, but the situations depends on the wall, it's condition,and the climate. There are also some studies that show vines can reduce the affects of weathering on a wall. They can also help keep a house cool in Summer. More over one should alsof actor in how superlatively beautiful Boston ivy can be on a wall, certainly in Spring, Summer, and Autumn (!!!), but also even Winter in a melancholic way.

More food for thought:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100516124817.htm

Ask a Question