Boston Ivy from Where?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi folks. Ordered some Boston Ivy seeds from Amazon and they lost the package. Back to square one.

So I thought I'd investigate how I can find and propagate some vines for the side of my house. I can get a container for $22 locally, if they are in stock. I am thinking I can break up the base and separate individual vines. Are there other alternatives? I tried getting some clippings, but they didn't work. Do people sell clippings or new plants, as a common service? I'm not sure where to look.

Any insight appreciated. Cheers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Growing Parthenocissus from seed is not really a viable option. My advice would be to buy an established plant and get it in the ground as soon as possible now. Don't interfere with the roots as this will probably kill it. The plant grows quite quickly, although as summer is close to ended growth wise, it will have a slower start than if planted in the spring. Leave your plant alone now to make some roots.
Next spring, wait to see the new growth and allow it to grow. It will find it's own way on a wall and self cling as you will be aware.
During early summer next year find a long piece of growth and clip it off for cuttings. Cut this beneath a node and just leave on the next node up with a leaf. Continue the same with the next node. The tips of the new growth will not be viable.

Never expect gardening to be instant - you will be disappointed, it doesn't work like that. Always take care and water your plants (without drowning them)

For extra speed, buy three or four plants for a big wall, and plant them a fair distance apart. Be aware that they will stay seemingly dormant over winter.
Patience is a virtue (y)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Grew two Wisteria that bloomed in 3 years, but they were plants to begin with. For the clipping, I cut beneath a node, strip that node, then leave the next node intact? It's unclear. Cheers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cut this beneath a node and just leave on the next node up with a leaf. Continue the same with the next node. The tips of the new growth will not be viable.
The above is for softwood cuttings in the spring to early summer. For hardwood cuttings (which will probably take a year to root), do the same cut under a node and leave on about 4inches over the node -after the leaves have dropped off. Plant these outside in the garden and stick a label in.

If still not sure, have a look at youtube and find a video on ''cuttings'' not clippings :)

Ask a Question