Boston Fern consult

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Hello guys,

I am asking for consult about my Boston Fern. As seen in the photo it's quite big, but it's also in a very deep pot, 9 inch deep, and I have learned that these guys have a shallow root system, so I am afraid of over watering and root rot. I don't water it unless the top 2 inch of soil is dry which takes around 2 weeks for me. I am considering moving it to a shallower pot, but I don't know if I can do that. Any ideas? Also, the bottom part of the fronds are getting dry. Could it be the heat? It's more than 100 F where I live during the day. Or that it's not getting enough light because it's deep inside?

I really appreciate your input!
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-12 at 11.17.07 PM.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your plant is doing well now and if you transplant into a shallow pot you may cause it a lot of stress. If you can take it out of the pot and remove some of the soil on bottom without harming the roots it would be ok. However, it the plant soil falls apart during the transplant it will stress the plant. Your fern is thriving and looks ok in the container you have it in.

After letting the top 2 inches dry well, you could water until you get a tiny bit of water to come out the bottom drain holes. Measure the amount of water with a 1000 ml measuring cup and find out how much water the container will hold, before and after it discharges out the bottom. Once you know the amount of water the pot holds you can limit the amount and under water the larger pot.

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Your plant is doing well now and if you transplant into a shallow pot you may cause it a lot of stress. If you can take it out of the pot and remove some of the soil on bottom without harming the roots it would be ok. However, it the plant soil falls apart during the transplant it will stress the plant. Your fern is thriving and looks ok in the container you have it in.

After letting the top 2 inches dry well, you could water until you get a tiny bit of water to come out the bottom drain holes. Measure the amount of water with a 1000 ml measuring cup and find out how much water the container will hold, before and after it discharges out the bottom. Once you know the amount of water the pot holds you can limit the amount and under water the larger pot.
Thank you so much for your reply! ^_^

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check this out this will guide you in depth :)

Boston Fern (Nephrolepis Exaltata) Indoor Care Guide​

The Complete Guide to Growing the Boston Fern Houseplant

Ask a Question