Borders

Reaction score
I am looking for a nice clean looking wind block for my front yard. I also want it to give me privacy. Does anyone have any ideas? My soil has a lot of clay in it. Any suggestions would be great as I want to get these so I can get them planted in the springtime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you looking for a type of hedging plant? Do you want evergreen or deciduous?

Reaction score
You have quite a few options but as Becky has already mentioned - are you wanting evergreen or deciduous hedging plants or trees, and do you want colorful or variegated foliage or even something that flowers ?
Also what kind of climate do you have and as you mentioned wind block - what strength wind are you wanting protection from and most importantly how much sun or shade will the site get?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have seen some gorgeous hedges made with the knock-out roses. I have ivy hedges that do ok in my location, but ivy can be very unpopular. What height were you thinking and do you want to keep hedged or more free form?

Reaction score
I want some color, but I want it to look hedged more than free form. I don't necessarily like the hedge look, but I want it to look tame so to speak. I like the idea of the roses and I have seen a lot of flowering bushes with beautiful colors in them. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
How tall do you want the hedge? That makes a big difference in what type of plant you get. Aborvitae is a good one, durable and not too fussy. It doesn't bloom though but it does grow fairly quickly.

Reaction score
Hedges are absolutely lovely, I adore them and really admire the amount of work people put into them, but for that reason alone I have never had one..

The two common types here are: Murraya and Box, I don't really know of anyone growing anything other than that.

Reaction score
I want some color, but I want it to look hedged more than free form. I don't necessarily like the hedge look, but I want it to look tame so to speak. I like the idea of the roses and I have seen a lot of flowering bushes with beautiful colors in them. Thanks for the input.

As I mentioned in an earlier post you have many, many options and think having a Rose hedge would be a lovely choice - especially as there are two varieties available that are particularly suitable for growing as a hedge and one of them is actually thorn-less and evergreen - but as with all roses - they would require a minimum of six hours of sunshine a day and as you haven't yet mentioned what type of climate your live in or how much sun or shade you have - don't know if that would work for you - if it would - let me know and I will post more details on the Rose varieties available for growing as a hedge.

Ask a Question