Blue Berries

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I planted blue berries but the trees never matured. What should I consider if I want to plant then again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted blue berries but the trees never matured. What should I consider if I want to plant then again?
Blue berries require acidic soil and will not grow much above a Ph of 5. On many varieties it takes 3 years for the plant to mature enough to produce. If you soil is acidic amend the soil with copious amounts of organic materials and don't let them completely dry out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I notice that when we bought seedlings, they will remain in the plastic pot for weeks while the intended location is being re-energized. My husband would dig the ground and pour old leaves of about 1 inch high. After a week, he would pour another batch of dried leaves and some compost. He would be pouring different potting materials until the time he would plant the seedling. That way, the soil is fertile.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm curious which species and cultivars of Blueberry (Vaccinium spp.) are grown in tropical locations such as Kenya and the Philippines.
Commonly grown Blueberry species are usually considered shrubs, not trees, and many, such as Northern Highbush Blueberry (V. corymbosum) and Lowbush Blueberry (V. angustifolium), require a significant number of chilling hours below 45º F/7º C.

Some cultivars of the Rabbit-eye Blueberry (V. virgatum, formerly V. ashei) and Southern Highbush Blueberry (V. darrowii) are considered low-chill varieties, though even these are usually stated to need at least 200 or hours of chilling.

The species mentioned are all native to eastern North America, but of course, there are many other species of Vaccinium, including many from the tropics, usually from higher elevations. Of course, not all Vaccinium species have berries that are blue, nor are they all considered flavourful or even edible.

For that matter, there are also other types of plants with edible blue berries, but for now, I will assume that classical Blueberries (Vaccinium spp) are being dicussed.

Ask a Question