Blue Berries

Reaction score
Hi, I have two different varieties of blueberries planted, three of each. My trouble is my soil is not very acidic and I don't think they are doing that good. Some say mulch with coffee grounds, others say that won't help, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Michele

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have used coffee grounds on mine and even tea bags .This is only the second year for them so i will know this season if it worked .I also used the fruit tree spikes for them and they are putting out a lot of new shoots this year .The key to blueberries is the soil needs to stay moist but not wet .I use newspaper and mulch on top of that and put a soaker hose around them .My father raised them when I was a kid on our farm and he had them all growing along side a natural spring and we always got nice big berries .He grew raspberries and blackberries and grapes around the same area .He just diverted the spring to little riverlets around all the plants

Reaction score
I use a micro sprayer just around the roots of my blueberries, but they also get watered from the sprinklers from the pasture. I don't think moisture is the problem, probably just the soil, I will mulch more this year and add the coffee grounds and hope for better luck. They should be producing, I have had them several years but I don't think they are getting what they need to grow very well. BUT I will NEVER give up! ;)

Reaction score
Wish I knew the answer to that, we are trying to get blueberries to grow here.....if they don't grow this year, I give up. They are grown commercially here, planted on mounds and mulched....wish I knew what variety they are using.

Reaction score
I did notice that mine looked better when I gave them some acid lovers miracle grow, so I know I need more acidity, maybe that is what yours need also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I hope since this is the second year for them they produce more and will try the acid loving plant food

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Put peat moss around them, or dig some in, peat moss does a great job of dropping the ph. I used peat moss and sand for my acid loving carnivorous plants. I just potted two patio, dwarf blueberries, they said to pot them in peat moss.

j.w

Reaction score
I've heard they like peat moss, well-rotted manure, compost, aged sawdust, or leafmold as a mulch at least that's what our garden guy on the radio suggests. They like soil that holds moisture well but also that drains well and the mulches I listed above are good for helping w/ that.

Reaction score
Going to get some peat moss this weekend and see if I can get it worked in a bit. I will not give up on them, blueberries are so good for you and too costly in the store. I will keep you posted on this summers progress. I am really hoping the Goji berries fruit this year, anyone have any experience with those?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got peat moss yesterday and going to give it a try .

Reaction score
Mine are doing ok, I only have two. Maybe I need more mulch, but my real problem is trying to get the berries before the Mockingbird does.

Ask a Question