Blood orange tree in Huntsville, Texas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a blood orange tree in a pot, which I have had for a year. I would like to know, if it will survive the coming weather in January. We live in Huntsville, Texas, gardening region 8b. What should I do for it to survive. Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Huntsville, Texas is in USDA Zone 8b, which means Winter low temperatures as low as 15º F should be expected. That is cold enough to damage an orange (Citrus x sinensis). Ideally, it would be good to bring it indoors and keep in in a sunny window until Spring. However, if that is not possible, place the pot against a sheltered south-facing wall. Pay attention to weather forecasts. If a frost lower than 28º F is predicted bring the plant indoors. For light frosts, an unheated garage may suffice, but for deeper chills, say below 20º F it would be best to bring it into a heated indoor space. If the container is large and difficult to move, consider using a plant caddy with casters. If you use such a caddy make sure to insulate the space underneath the pot, as an elevated pot may be more prone to cold damage.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Uhhh...may I offer a little local knowledge... I live just a few miles from you. Last winter we enjoyed low temps of 8 degrees which you also should have experienced if you have been there for a year. Trust me...your blood orange would not survive that outside without heroic measures. Better to keep it in a large pot that you can move in and out when we get a polar vortex.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and thank you for responding. Yes, that was a bad winter. Thank you for your advice, we will be taking the blood orange tree inside. Thank you again.

Ask a Question