Blocking gap under a thin row of conifers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately someone at some stage has aggressively cut back the leylandii at the front of our house. This was initially covered by a large laurel that we asked to be trimmed back without realising how thin the conifer was behind.

We would like to block off the front of our property (including large gates) so that the children and dog can use the front without getting onto the main road behind. However, there is currently a dog-sized gap underneath the conifer along the length of the hedgerow and a particularly large/high gap at one end, which we've temporarily blocked off with a blue palette we couldn't dispose of...

Does anyone have any thoughts about any type of fence/hedge/barrier that we could roll out along the length of the conifer row that would look nice but also stop medium-sized mammals from getting out onto the road?

Attachments

• Leylandii.jpg
    Leylandii.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 100
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found the best way to do the same job here was chestnut posts with pig netting on and two strands of barbed wire on top - which was quite cost effective too. Not only did that stop my dogs from getting out, it also stopped others getting in !!
Pig netting disappears into the greenery which is good, and is good support if you decide to grow climbing plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased this on eBay last year to prevent cats hiding under our azaleas and pouncing on the birds on the patio.

It's quite flexible, which comes in handy if you can't put in a straght line.

Ask a Question