Blending vegetable peelings for compost?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello gardeners is anyone blending their vegetable peelings and applying it to the garden as a means of compost?
I lived here in Southern Ca. and this soil is sandy, and very dry. At the present I am growing nothing in the garden it s bare waiting for spring time.
I have been applying vegetable peelings to my garden area for the past couple months I really hope it helps the garden in the spring time when it time to plant.

Be safe
Thank You

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Wal3, we have two compost piles, one working and one ready to use. I add vegetable peelings and fruit peels to the working pile. When I apply the compost from the ready pile to the vegetable beds, I scratch it in--not burying it so much as just incorporating it into the existing soil.
Using your garden area as a compost site works, but be ready for a lot of bugs and perhaps wildlife that wants a snack.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I throw all my kitchen waste into the garden, not just peels. Coffee/tea grounds are really good for on-site cold composting, which I do -- I don't have a compost pile any more. If you don't drink coffee, you can have a coffee store, such as Starbucks save you the grounds for you to pick up and they don't have to separate the coffee filters, that can also be thrown down for composting.

I cover all this stuff up with leaves I collect from around my neighborhood that people leave out for city pick-up. A little advice -- only pick-up bags from nice looking neighborhoods, otherwise you may get a lot of garbage mixed in with the yard waste.

P.S. Living in Florida, only a mile from the beach, my soil was nothing but sand when I first started, but now it looks like black cottage cheese and has an abundance of soil life, including earthworms, which never could have lived in the sandy soil I started out with; it only took a year before I saw big improvements and it improves every year.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Ask a Question