Blackened knockout rose

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_2459.JPG hello I am new into gardening and have developed a love of roses. The problem is that I'm not very good yet.

I live in zone 6 so it's still a little chilly here but is warming up quickly. I have a double knockout rose that was doing fine, but over the winter t send some of the canes have blackened.

My instinct is to cut off those stems. But please tell me what to do to save this rose! My peppermint pop shrub and sweet drift tree are both fine for some reason.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Scratch the bark with a knife. If it is brown it is dead, If greenish its still alive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Hard to tell whats going on from the picture but...
Looks like too much mulch too close. Also looks like water could pool around the plant a opposed to draining away. There also seems to be foot impression around the soil, most likely not the cause but soil compaction can be an issue.

Roses like their water, but don't like being continuously wet, lightly damp or moist is OK. Location should also get plenty of sun.

From
https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/blog/double-knockout-rose-maintenance/

Double Knockout Roses thrive in areas that receive full to partial sunlight and prefer at least 6 to 8 hours of sunlight a day.

Make sure that your roses don’t sit in a low area of your yard that collects a lot of water runoff, or where standing water collects.

Double Knockout Roses will adapt to a variety of soils as long as it’s well draining.

Double Knockout Roses prefer to keep their soil moist, but not over saturated. Check on your soil every few days if it starts to feel dry then it’s time to give your roses a drink.

Don't go under the assumption all plants have the same cultural requirements (soil, water, sun..). Just because 1 type of plan is doing well doesn't necessarily mean all will. Sometimes even similar type of plants have different requirements.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hard to tell whats going on from the picture but...
Looks like too much mulch too close. Also looks like water could pool around the plant a opposed to draining away. There also seems to be foot impression around the soil, most likely not the cause but soil compaction can be an issue.

Oh I see, the mulch is actually new topsoil (I recently moved the rose hoping it would get better but no change), but it does look mulch like in the photo. The foot print is because I stepped next to it on a soggy day. Do you think I buried it too deep? (I did that after the blackening but I want to make sure I'm setting up my other roses correctly for proper drainage)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Interesting thing is depth is different depending on warm or cold climate. I'm in a warm climate.

Place the bare root rose on the soil mound. If you're planting in a warmer climate, then you should position the the rose so that the bud union of the rose is just above the level of the ground. If it's colder, the bud union should be about 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5.1 cm) below ground level. The roots should be covered, but the stem should be out of the ground.

This looks like a decent page.
http://www.wikihow.com/Plant-Roses

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting thing is depth is different depending on warm or cold climate. I'm in a warm climate.

Place the bare root rose on the soil mound. If you're planting in a warmer climate, then you should position the the rose so that the bud union of the rose is just above the level of the ground. If it's colder, the bud union should be about 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5.1 cm) below ground level. The roots should be covered, but the stem should be out of the ground.

This looks like a decent page.
http://www.wikihow.com/Plant-Roses

Thank you!! I just ordered some bare roots roses and the instructions told me to keep the bud union above ground even though I'm in a cold climate!! I'll have to add more soil I suppose

Ask a Question