Black spots on rubber tree leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good afternoon,
I'm fairly new to house plant keeping and need some help. I bought my first rubber tree about 2 weeks ago, and it had been doing pretty well. A few days ago I noticed dry black spots on the perimeter of the leaves. The plant hasn't dropped leaves significantly and has new growth coming up. I'm not sure if it's a watering or light issue, or potentially fungus. Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
20200617_121404.jpg
20200617_121355.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are over watering and not giving the plant enough light. Let the top inch and 1/2 dry well before watering and when you water, water until you get just a tiny bit of water to come out the bottom holes and stop. Don't let it set in water or in the drain tray with water. Put it in a very bright well lit area with some morning sun. Here are some photos of my rubber tree cuttings. The Mother plant and one cutting live outdoors under filtered Sun mixed with full morning Sun for an hour or two. They are easy to propagate and grow once you get the hang of watering.

Attachments

• IMG_2021.JPG
    IMG_2021.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_2023.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 430
Reaction score
Country
United States
Now that I think of it, the black spots did show up shortly after I watered it. Thanks for the reply! I'll back off on watering and move it close to the west facing window it sits near. Your plants look beautiful! Hoping mine recovers.

Ask a Question