Black Roses

Reaction score
I've always had a love for roses, but then again, who doesn't? When I discovered that black roses were a "real thing," (I was very young and assumed the fake ones were the only ones in existence) I wanted to grow tons of them in the garden.

The roses I'm referring to are called "Turkish Halfeti Rose." From what I understand, they grow in small numbers and can only be found in Turkey. I can't imagine that it'd be impossible to grow them here.

Does anyone have any experience with growing Black Roses? Are they more difficult than typical red roses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have only aware of black rose and some other unusual colors roses in recent years because I thought they were painted, like those poinsettias at Christmas time.

I haven't seen the real black rose here in any store, and only see pictures of them online. Do you know where to get them if you are planning on growing black rose?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've heard of them before, I would love to have one in my garden but I don't think that will ever happen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've only seen them in photos, but I think they're beautiful and I definitely want to grow them. Black is my favorite color, roses are my favorite flowers:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I honestly, had no idea until discovering this forum that black roses were real. I had always thought it was something the florist did to the flower by dying it or something. I am so tempted to plant these babies in my garden, regardless of their color. I love the color black in general and roses are my favorite flower, like most people, so I am excited to see what I can find out for my particular area on the means of growing beautiful ones. I am interested in hearing how other's experiences go.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have heard about black rose, but never seen in real. I even did not know black rose was called Turkish Halfeti Rose. I would be interested in planting this variety of rose, but I don't know if it is available in the local nursery. I must check this online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Black roses are rare and expensive. Their numbers dwindled down to almost extinction. I would love to get a hold of some black rose seeds, they are the only roses I actually like. When I was a kid my dad got me a black rose that was in a glass dome. That was when they were almost extinct. I was not aware they were growing them in Turkey now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have seen them in planting catalogs and actually ordered one a few years ago. I do not remember the specific name of the rose, but it did not turn out to be black when it bloomed. Instead it was a very deep velvety reddish purple color. While it was still a beautiful rose, I was disappointed that it was not the black rose I had hoped for.

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Black roses do not exist ...deep deep crimson is the closest they can get to. A lot of the stories about the wild black roses are a false marketing scheme.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Black roses do not exist ...deep deep crimson is the closest they can get to. A lot of the stories about the wild black roses are a false marketing scheme.
Thank you for stating this. The whole thing was a social media hoax. It should be obvious that if truly black roses (or blue roses) were real, they would not be rare. On the contrary, they would be massively propagated to market capacity.

By the way, the use of the name 'Halfeti', was a curious or cynical choice.
Halfeti is a half-submerged district of towns and villages on the Euphrates in Anatolia, Turkey. The district had to be abandoned when a reservoir was constructed.

Ask a Question