Black Pearl Euphorbia Dead or slow to come back - along with others

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

So for the past 3 or 4 years I have ben quite successful with cutting the flowering spikes down to the ground and neatening the leafs. Every year around about now the plant would spring back into life with nw foliage and the flowers were soon to follow.

Last year however, the spikes seem to die earlier, and I had a "gardener" come in to do some cutting back and trimmin in October time. Not sure what or how he did his cutting but it looked like he just had a strimmer. Anyway long story short, much of the plant was cut to the ground, with only a couple of branches containing the odd the leaf.

These leafs have now gone, and the there are just stems poking out of the ground. Has this plant had it? Or will nature find a way and it will grow back. No sign yet - but March has been a funny month.

I have attached a photo.

Also My angel Wings had the same treatment and looks a gonna,

and for some reason he hacked at a shrub, which has now lost all its evergreen leafs and th branches are pretty brittle. Photos attached.
IMG_20220314_104702_562.jpg
IMG_20220314_104708_025.jpg
IMG_20220314_104712_617.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your Black Pearl Spurge (Euphorbia characias 'Black Pearl') still shows a few healthy stems.
With proper care it may rebound, though it has certainly been set back a season.

Bush Germander (Teucrium fruticans) is an evergreen shrub that should not be pruned back to a completely leafless state.
However they are durable plants and you might see new leaves sprouting this Spring... or not. Time will tell.

Your Angel Wings Senecio (Senecio candicans) is likely deador close to it. This is likely due to Winter wet and/or Winter cold.
That "gardener" may not be to blame for this one.

In any case, don't hire him again. Perhaps even consider taking him to small-claims court.

Ask a Question