Black growths on pothos stem?

Reaction score
Country
United States
16282580818094130362875602096989.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just found this site while looking for answers to the same question. 1 of my plants just began growing the black spots on the stems as well. I've had these/this plant forever & have never seen such a thing. Is this normal? Healthy? Need a treatment? I'm baffled.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just found this site while looking for answers to the same question. 1 of my plants just began growing the black spots on the stems as well. I've had these/this plant forever & have never seen such a thing. Is this normal? Healthy? Need a treatment? I'm baffled.
As you have read in this thread, aerial roots on Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) are normal and healthy. This is one step in the transition from juvenile to adult foliage. You might also notice that the leaves are getting larger? You can encourage the vine to climb by its roots onto a post or plank, or you can just ignore the roots. The roots are an interesting morphological feature that adds visual interest. If you really don't like the aerial roots, you could try cutting the plant back to a point where the leaves don't have them, but his might be futile if the plant isreceiving environmental cues to initiate aerial roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just thought it was scale. So I picked it all off..I'm talking about what doesn't look like Arial roots. Ugh did I just kill my plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Please do explain more fully, and attach a photo of the problem.
It seems like you may have mistakenly scratched off part of your plant's aerial roots and epidermis. If so, the plant may scar and suffer, but unless the damage is extreme, it will likely recover. Golden Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) is a very durable houseplant.

Ask a Question