Black edges on leafs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My plant has got black edges on its leafs and others are losing their color . I think it is a Dumb Cane . How can I rectify it .

See attached picture .I
20210204_133548.jpg
t is not usually by the radiator , its was moved to take the photograph

Thanks

Jon
20210204_133548.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am guessing your assumption that this is a dieffenbachia is correct. I purchased a dieffenbachia with a similar problem last fall. You have new growth so patience will reward you with a fuller plant soon. Later you may remove the damaged leaves. Because of the color pattern of this variety it needs pretty bright indirect light. A moisture/humidity tray underneath the plant may help, but I am not seeing the brown leaf tips so am guessing more light. Make sure soil is dry before watering. That location by the windows might be excellent if you have a large humidity tray under the plant and rotate the plant regularly. (A radiator air diversion for pushing the air out instead of up would be necessary in my opinion). Good luck. I have found patience, time and not over watering or fertilizing usually remedy any of my plant problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This could be a number of problems. If you pick the plant up by the stem does it come out of the pot? Is the compost dry and hard? Do you have the central heating on most of the time at the moment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies . It lifts out of the pot but is not dry . I will move it to a more sunny spot . How do I make a humidity tray . Do I just sit the plant pot on some stones which are say in a dish with some water around the stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do not put this in a humidity tray! At this time of year the yellowing of the leaves suggests that the plant has been overwatered. If this happens the roots will not get the oxygen they need. As long as the roots have not rotted it will be best to wait until it has dried thoroughly and then water with tepid water until that runs through and drains away at the base. These plants can tolerate low light levels, don`t enjoy central heating like we do, and are happy to 'rest' until the spring comes. At that time when we all feel better - plants and people - you can change it`s compost, and give it some feed and a good watering. I would cut those two leaves off if I were you and just let it rest. Always watch out for pests though - catching those early makes it an easier job to rectify. Good luck with it :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Tetters . I probably did over water it by what you said ( never had indoor plants before ) What should I watch out for in the pests department ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The list is long - and now would be a good time to investigate - there`s a nice selection of aphids, mealy bugs, spider mites and scale insects to learn about. Prevention is better than cure. Do it all right and the rewards are huge though.
Welcome to the world of plant nerds :D ......oh I forgot sciarid flies :rolleyes:

When you`ve had a good look at the suggestions I`ve made, report back with a few thoughts, and I`ll tell you if you have the makings of an expert gardener. ok? :joyful:

Ask a Question