bird problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
my poor green beans... for two springs now, they barely break ground and the birds come and eat the tender tops. i am left with little, green sticks poking out of the ground. this year i anticipated the problem and also started beans indoors. i have 36 little plants, but i'm unsure how big to require them to be before i plant them in the ground. suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
my poor green beans... for two springs now, they barely break ground and the birds come and eat the tender tops. i am left with little, green sticks poking out of the ground. this year i anticipated the problem and also started beans indoors. i have 36 little plants, but i'm unsure how big to require them to be before i plant them in the ground. suggestions?
At least one set of true leaves, better to have 2 sets but have you actually seen birds eating them? If you have then get some bird netting. I have problems with cut worms in my beans some years is the reason I asked.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i'm pretty sure it's birds; the sticks left are about an inch tall, so it's too high for a cutworm. also, i protect my sprouts with little cardboard collars. my sprouts are getting tertiary leaves now, so soon, i'd guess.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Build or buy mesh cages to protect seedlings from birds and rodents. The cages can be pre-constructed wire bins, or something made from grid wire mesh or chicken-wire. Anything durable that lets in air, water, and light could potentially work.

Ask a Question