BioChar for small farms and gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a

http://www.biochar-international.org/biochar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biochar

Hi! I was asked to start a thread on BioChar, so here we are.

My back story: My wife and I spent 4 gardening years wondering why our plants didn't grow very well. We did have harvests, but not much. A few peppers, a few tomatos, some lettuce, etc.

But when we started working with the soil, we made tremendous improvements. I went from growing 1000 sq.ft. Of corn stalks to making wheelbarrow loads of corn! Plump, juicy tomatoes (and lots of them), delicious peppers, and so on. A much greater yield, and near-zero pest damage, and truly zero disease.

I owe it all to BioChar, and Bokashi.

Bokashi is easy – toss your kitchen scraps in a barrel outside and put a lid on them. They rot. We'll come back to bokashi later.

BioChar is nothing more than charcoal that you put into your soil. It holds nutrients from the soil preventing leaching, it holds rainwater to prevent dehydration, it provides safe harbor for soil bacteria, it helps prevent compaction, and so on. In the Andes mountains are large swaths of biochar-enhanced soil that kept entire empires alive. Soil Scientists call this soil “Terra Preta”. You'll call it a miracle when you make it for yourself.

How do you make it? Well, quite simply, BioChar is charcoal, so it is made by pyrolisys, not combustion. So we do not burn the wood, we smolder it without oxygen. A tiny bit of oxygen is actually needed, but any more than that and you combust the wood producing ash instead of char.

Here is my retort:

Retort.jpg

Quite simple, actually.

1. Drill lots of pinky-sized holes in the bottom. Mine has 117!

2. Have a welder cut a hole in the lid to fit the stove pipe.

3. Install stovepipe by putting it in the hole.

4. Put the whole thing on a 3-brick tripod.
And there's your retort! This is a very simple device, and it's easy to over think this. It is very simple. Just look at the diagram and instructions.

Operating the retort is more art than science. You'll need your payload wood, your starter wood, and an optional cardboard barrier.

1. Put payload wood in bottom of retort, fill almost to top.

2. Put optional cardboard barrier down.

3. Build a “Boyscout” type fire with your starter.

4. Tend the fire for a while to make sure it generates a good bed of coals.

5. When it is up-and-running, put the lid on and walk away.
OK, that makes it sound super easy. In reality, there's a little more to it.

In my situation, I use deadfall and tree trimmings, as opposed to Mr. Rogers who uses shreds and chips. I chainsaw my wood into lengths no more than 6”, he doesn't get anywhere near that big. He uses wood that is nice and dry, my wood is “kind of” dry, but it varies a lot.

As a result, he burns through a barrel in about an hour, whereas mine takes the better part of a day. He never needs to open his retort, whereas I need to stir mine every 2-3 hours. I stir mine with a piece of rebar. He gets small pieces, I get larger ones. That doesn't seem to cause a problem, though.

Just remember that this retort will be exceedingly hot. Water will bounce off the sides due to explosive boiling. To end the process, I have to open my retort and quench it with water. The intense heat and the cold water generate a steam that could probably kill a small animal. Do be careful when doing any thing with a retort!

After it is quenched, I tip the barrel and invert. Then hose the barrel out a little, and set it on the tripod upside-down to dry. Then I do it all over again the next day.

Quality? Oh yes. Proper BioChar is proper BioChar no matter how it's made.

Just don't put it in your soil yet! Remember I said it holds nutrients? It will grab every bit of nutrient in your soil and sequester it inside. Then your plants won't grow. Oh, my! What to do?

Remember that bokashi I mentioned earlier? Now's when you need that stuff. See, the BioChar needs to be charged with something before you put it in the soil. You can put it in the soil raw, but you'll need to wait a year before planting.

So I start a new barrel of bokashi every year by putting a bunch of BioChar in the bottom first. Then lots of kitchen scraps. Then a layer of BioChar, then more scraps. Kind of like a nasty lasagna!

In this manner, the BioChar absorbs all the liquid goodness from the bokashi, and then I have only a dry-looking product to put into the garden. The BioChar is charged with nutrients and takes them into the garden.

In closing, let me say that making BioChar does require some labor, but the labor isn't back breaking. If you are unable to chainsaw your own wood and move it around, then perhaps a kind neighbor will help. But the finished BioChar weighs a mere fraction of the wood it came from.

The minimal effort needed to make BioChar at home will result in a garden soil that will stay fertile and hold water properly for the better part of a century before it needs a major fertilizer dose. Seems worth it to me to do it now rather than later.

Any questions?

-Johntodd

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I understand now why and how you use anaerobic compost although is suppose you could use aerobic compost or even watering the biochar with compost tea. One question I do have though. Isn't biochar basically wood ash that isn't ashes yet? Or does the complete burning of wood into ashes destroy the minerals that are locked in the charcoal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Well, simply put, ash is ash and charcoal is carbon. Ash is a good source of potash for the garden, but the carbon and porous structure of the BioChar is worth a lot more. The combustion destroys most of the carbon and ruins the microscopic texture of the BioChar.

The minerals and other nutrients that were in the original wood are not the target here. Strictly speaking, all we're after with BioChar is 100% carbon matrix, although the 100% thing never happens in real life. Surviving minerals would be a nice bonus, but concentrate on making proper BioChar; that is what is needed most.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, simply put, ash is ash and charcoal is carbon. Ash is a good source of potash for the garden, but the carbon and porous structure of the BioChar is worth a lot more. The combustion destroys most of the carbon and ruins the microscopic texture of the BioChar.

The minerals and other nutrients that were in the original wood are not the target here. Strictly speaking, all we're after with BioChar is 100% carbon matrix, although the 100% thing never happens in real life. Surviving minerals would be a nice bonus, but concentrate on making proper BioChar; that is what is needed most.
That answers that. Does the stove pipe size matter as to the ratio of the holes in the bottom? Say for instance I had 100 1/2" holes, or lets assume 50 sq inches. Would it make any difference say between a 4" stove pipe or an 8"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mine has 117 3/8" air holes in the bottom. They originally were a little smaller, but that let in too little air, so I had to redrill them all. Boy, what fun that was! :eek:

So I've got (very) roughly 50 sq. inches open on the bottom. My stovepipe is 4", and the std length they come in (I forget what.)

I'd say go with the 4" stovepipe, because I know it works. A larger pipe might provide too much draft, and that means too much air. Too much air means combustion (ash) instead of pyrolysis (BioChar).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine has 117 3/8" air holes in the bottom. They originally were a little smaller, but that let in too little air, so I had to redrill them all. Boy, what fun that was! :eek:

So I've got (very) roughly 50 sq. inches open on the bottom. My stovepipe is 4", and the std length they come in (I forget what.)

I'd say go with the 4" stovepipe, because I know it works. A larger pipe might provide too much draft, and that means too much air. Too much air means combustion (ash) instead of pyrolysis (BioChar).
I am going to use an old 120 gallon galvanized water well pressure tank and the welder can put any size pipe on top. I wonder if a 2" would tend to smother it. I want it to be as efficient as possible. I can't see the length of the pipe making much difference? Also, can you get too much air in at the bottom? I have a bunch of expanded metal that I could use for a bottom. I suppose I could spot weld 2 or 3 pieces together

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The length of the pipe will mess with the stack effect. (Chimney effect). The longer it is, the more forceful the draw will be. The larger the diameter, to more volume of air will flow.

I think a 2" will smother it due to low volume. Even if the 2" pipe was 20 feet long, you'd just get a little air flowing quickly. That would give you a burned-out center in the wood, a little payload around that, then raw wood at the edges of the barrel.

As for the tank you're using, sounds good. Just make sure it is thick metal. All this heat and moisture will accelerate rusting on this. Eventually the 50-gallon drums have to be replaced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Can't tell you about expanded metal, etc. I'm not an engineer, just a guy who took somebody else's design and made it work with what I had around me. I know the intense heat will do a number on things. As long as your metal is thick and not goosed with any toxic stuff, you should be fine. Some things like paint can become toxic when heated, so maybe for that first batch you should put it somewhere where the fumes can't mess with anybody?

Reaction score
hello johntodd,

glad you discovered the power of carbon & microbes to regenerate soil and boost productivity. one other key ingredient a soil fertility recipe is the minerals -- the elemental foundation of life. i use sea minerals to complete the trace elements, and various micronized rockdusts to boost & balance the 7 major minerals.

your simple biochar burner works much better if you add secondary air intakes at the base of the chimney. these barrel burners create a primary fire that burns top to bottom in the barrel. this biomass fire gasifies the biomass, but the restricted air supply can't supply enough oxygen to burn off the carbon. carbon burns (oxidizes) at the highest temperature, so the carbon remains as char.

but the gasification byproducts (smoke & volatiles) rush upwards to and through the chimney. if fresh air is added to these partially burned, smoky hydrocarbons as they enter the chimney, they are hot enough to ignite and burst into a huge gas flare, releasing tremendous heat as the smoke, vapors, volatiles, and gases are burnt completely to CO2.

otherwise, you will likely have a 55-gallon smoke bomb.

but if you add air to ignite the smoke & vapors, this creates a secondary gas flare in the chimney. this is the cleanest form of combustion devised: effectively, no carbon monoxide, no smoke, no soot, no tar, no sparks. well, nearly none -- less than all other forms of biomass combustion. completely contained & controlled combustion in a cheap & simple two-stage, two air port burner.

i built a few of these devices (TLUD) from 55-gallon barrels, and had fun figuring out how the work and upgrading my designs to make them burn better. my third design blew smoke rings out the secondary airports whenever wind gusts caused backdraft down the chimney. my last design caused the chimney gas flare to spin smoothly, silently in a neat, focused fire tornado:
www.dyarrow.org/TLUD
www.dyarrow.org/venturi
www.dyarrow.org/2ndBurn
the first burn was a 55-gallon smoke bomb.
there were other failures.

if i build another one, i'll attach a water heat exchanger to the chimney venturi vortex chamber.

but i'm not am engineer about building burners and making char.
my focus is teaching "The 4 M's" to prepare char for use in soil:
Moisten, Micronize, Mineralize, Microbe Inoculation
www.dyarrow.org/terracharge
www.dyarrow.org/4Ms
www.dyarrow.org/BiocharInSoil

toward this seemingly new and special end use for char, i encourage everyone to consider that for use in soil, weedy may be better than woody biomass. everyone is programmed to think that charcoal is made from hardwood. but i am intrigued by several features of char made from straw, hay, cornstalks, cobs, seed husks, and other agricultural biomass into char. one is the nitrogen in weedy not present in woody. a swiss farmer makes char from sheep's wool, which is protein, and thus wooly char is a slow-release nitrogen fertilizer.

a huge new area that is emerging is feeding char to livestock -- at 1 to 3% of feed ration: 28% methane reduction, 25% better feed utilization, 20% better weight gain, reduced ammonia emission. lots of research on this in asia, australia & europe, and even a few positive reports in america. and then, of course, the char ends up in soil already inoculated:
www.dyarrow.org/poultry

my next test plot will see if a blended biochar can get strong response at only 5 gallons per 100 square feet = 4 tons/acre. this is a scale & a cost that is attractive to tight-fisted, penny-pinching farmers.

for a green & peaceful planet,
David Yarrow
(e-mail address removed)
573-818-4148
www.dyarrow.org
http://dyarrow.blogspot.com

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Rats! You're right! I have air holes around my chimney and forgot to put that in!

OK, everyone! Listen up! Drill at least 8 air holes around the base of the chimney (above the lid) to let in secondary O2. This will make it go smokeless once it gets up to operating temperature.

Reaction score
For a complete review of the current science & industry applications of Biochar please see my 2014 Soil Science Society of America Biochar presentation. How thermal conversion technologies can integrate and optimize the recycling of valuable nutrients while providing energy and building soil carbon, I believe it brings together both sides of climate beliefs.
A reconciling of both Gods' and mans' controlling hands.

Agricultural Geo - Engineering; Past, Present & Future
Across scientific disciplines carbons are finding new utility to solve our most vexing problems2014 SSSA Presentation;
Agricultural Geo-Engineering; Past, Present & Future. https://www.soils.org/files/am/ecosystems/kinght.pdf

-

Ask a Question