BIG crabgrass problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just bought a cute little house with an acre of land that didn't have a flower on it anywhere. I've spent the last several months putting in gardens, most of which have been successful beyond my expectations. I have one, however, a steep bank where I created a large garden to solve mowing issues, that is overwhelmed with crabgrass. It was weed blocked and heavily mulched, but crabgrass keeps coming up everywhere. An examination reveals that there is thick crabgrass up under the mulch and weed block that is thriving. Would anyone have suggestions on how I can kill off the crabgrass and save the garden? It is planted out primarily wth mounding perrenials, day lilly, and various grasses. I'd appreciate any help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just bought a cute little house with an acre of land that didn't have a flower on it anywhere. I've spent the last several months putting in gardens, most of which have been successful beyond my expectations. I have one, however, a steep bank where I created a large garden to solve mowing issues, that is overwhelmed with crabgrass. It was weed blocked and heavily mulched, but crabgrass keeps coming up everywhere. An examination reveals that there is thick crabgrass up under the mulch and weed block that is thriving. Would anyone have suggestions on how I can kill off the crabgrass and save the garden? It is planted out primarily wth mounding perrenials, day lilly, and various grasses. I'd appreciate any help.
Where do you live?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Zone 6, Southwest Va
If you would please update your profile. There are only 2 ways to get rid of crabgrass. One is by chemicals and the other is by solarization. It is too late now for either to be effective. If it were me I would cover up the affected areas with plastic and leave it on until next fall. Otherwise you could use a chemical that will kill it, but a lot of it will still be there next spring which doesn't help much. It's hard to eradicate completely and solarization is the only way that I know of to be 100% effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck, would you use clear plastic so it would magnify the sun? Or black plastic to absorb more heat? Would it matter?
I have never been able to tell any difference. The secret to using it is to soak the ground before laying down the plastic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pardon my novice question, but would it be best to just dig up and move the 25 or so plants to a holding spot and remove the mulch and weed block and start over with the plastic? Thanks for your help! Having that garden area, whatever it takes, is important to me because it's just physically too difficult to mow and it looks nice (as long as I keep the crabgrass pulled out, which has been daunting).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pardon my novice question, but would it be best to just dig up and move the 25 or so plants to a holding spot and remove the mulch and weed block and start over with the plastic? Thanks for your help! Having that garden area, whatever it takes, is important to me because it's just physically too difficult to mow and it looks nice (as long as I keep the crabgrass pulled out, which has been daunting).
It probably would be easier to dig them up. Just protect them this winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
With grass and weeds, our only means is to pull it together with the roots. FYI, the backyard here was covered with crab grasa and other weeds when we moved it. After the repairs in the house were done (we bought this 20-year old house in 2001), we hired 2 people to clean the backyard that includes weeding and removing unwanted plants and grass. They used a crowbar and a pic to get to the roots of the weeds and grass so they will not come back because crab grass is very prolific especially during the rainy season, they get out of control. We were somehow successful in turning our backyard into a pleasant garden but I have to admit that once in a while the crab grass comes back.

Ask a Question