Between rows ? ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Question, here in the sandhills of N.C., our soil is basically sandy I've been amending soil in garden for 2 yrs now, and I don't have the money to buy a dump truck load of compost/rich soil, my idea this yr. is if I lay news paper then a layer of shredded leaves then a layer of grass clippings between rows and around cucumber mounds. do y'all think this is a good idea,or will it cause some kind of future problem ? ? ?

Happy Mothers Day :)
Mike

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Question, here in the sandhills of N.C., our soil is basically sandy I've been amending soil in garden for 2 yrs now, and I don't have the money to buy a dump truck load of compost/rich soil, my idea this yr. is if I lay news paper then a layer of shredded leaves then a layer of grass clippings between rows and around cucumber mounds. do y'all think this is a good idea,or will it cause some kind of future problem ? ? ?

Happy Mothers Day :)
Mike
I think it's a good idea. It will decompose fairly quickly and you can turn it under at your leisure. Then when the season is over move your rows to where you turned all that organic matter under and next year you just do the same thing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi Mike. When I first started gardening a friend advised me to cover sile with newspaper, weeds and all and the cover with mulch and it has been very successful. The soil under neath has improved with no additives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mike, google lasagna or sheet composting, that's what you're describing. Like this:
http://ucanr.edu/sites/MarinMG/?story=662

At a previous house where I had sandy soil, I did this for several years. At the end of each growing season, I spread out a mixture of chicken or horse manure, lawn cuttings, fall leaves and some kitchen waste and dug it lightly into the soil. By the following spring it was well into the decomposing process and I had a really fertile veggie garden.

Ask a Question