Better Bust Tomato hybrid

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a couple of Binnie Plat Better Bush hybrid tomato plants that i got from starter plants. Ive had them for awhile and they have pretty much stopped growing and curled their leaves up. At the beginning of the season they were doing pretty good so i aggressively trimmed all the sucker branches off. Now both of them have pretty much went belly up. I havent changed anything about watering at the drip line or source of water. The variety of cherry tomato i got from Bonnie Plants is doing pretty good.

My question is, is there a way to tell if this is a virus or something else? I have read on on some pages that this could also be cause from a cooling period with excess moisture. Is there a way to really tell the difference because i dont really want to a bunch of chemicals involved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You tomato is a compact determinate and as such should not be pruned. Determinate tomatoes bloom and set fruit in a certain amount of time and then they all ripen in a short period of time. Anyway, pictures would help in identifying a disease if any

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So these plants are pretty much done for?

Attachments

• 20160512_110438.jpg
    20160512_110438.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Physiological Leaf Roll: Excessive moisture and nitrogen, heat, drought, severe pruning, root damage and transplant shock are some of the environmental factors that can cause physiological leaf roll in tomatoes. Initial symptoms are usually apparent in the lower leaves with an upward cupping of leaflets followed by an inward lengthwise rolling of the leaflets toward the mid-vein. The affected leaves tend to become thickened and have a leathery texture, but retain a normal, healthy green color. Over time all of the leaves on the plant may be affected.

That's a quote from this site: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/hot_topics/2008/05tomato_leaf_roll.html

Since you say you aggressively pruned the suckers on the plant, my guess is it is probably physiological leaf roll. Especially if the leaves all still have a healthy green color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like you pruned off every fruit bearing stem or sucker that would have had blooms and just left the limbs. I would start over as I don't think this plant will bloom again

Ask a Question