Best way to cook bacon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Since -no doubt- all the foodies will be trying their best to wrap whole cabbages or other mild fare with bacon to enhance its instagram appeal, I thought a gentle article might steel you against tomorrows gastric onslaught and allow for trendy topical questioning by yourselves as to the possibly hapless chef's knowledge of bacon.
Screenshot_20191127-183256_resize_39.jpg

Here is the entertaining link to the opinions of the test cook

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Interesting, I don't use bacon at all on Thanksgiving. But anyway. I usually skillet fry my bacon, medium heat, letting the fat do the work of cooking and crisping them. We rarely make bacon at our house anyway. Cannot recall last time I bought any. As far as seasoning my cast iron skillet, they are way seasoned already, but just a quick light wipe out with olive oil and they are good as new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my husband makes this shrimp thing. with muck around it, and the bacon to wrap it. then he bakes it. its decent. he has not done that in a long time. I will, sometime toss in some diced up bacon for a hint of it in some dish I am making.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bacon: grilled is best - then served in a butty NOM NOM NOM!
Christmas? Has to be pigs in blankets - wrap bacon around chipolata sausages and roast in the oven. Yum, yum, yummy! (Never have turkey at Christmas but must have pigs in blankets).
I also like to mince raw bacon and add it to minced beef to make burgers.
If cooking a roast chicken I drape rashers of bacon over the breast of the chicken (the fat from the bacon bastes the breast meat) and those crispy pieces of bacon just add to the moist breast meat when carved and served on the plate. Other than that, I rarely waste use bacon to wrap another food in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
have not found a bad way to cook bacon. their are only better ways and it depends on what you are doing with it. just eating it? skillet saving It for later? baked. Cooking it for a recipe? cast iron. always always safe the grease.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I bought some whole, hickory smoked, very mildly cured, low or no sodium bacon and wish I could find it again. I may just have to make some. The store varieties are actually so salty that I have begun to not care for them. Then again, a couple of pieces will do it for me when they are so strongly cured. When it is mild, I can make a pig of myself. Except that skin gets really hard unless you cook at a super high heat and puff it like a pigskin snack.

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since -no doubt- all the foodies will be trying their best to wrap whole cabbages or other mild fare with bacon to enhance its instagram appeal, I thought a gentle article might steel you against tomorrows gastric onslaught and allow for trendy topical questioning by yourselves as to the possibly hapless chef's knowledge of bacon. View attachment 59867

Here is the entertaining link to the opinions of the test cook
they all kinda look the same. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
As mentioned - Grill it. I just recently discovered this on my charcoal grill I've used for 40+ years. It's so simple and announces a bacon flavor never experienced. CAUTION: don't leave the area even for a few seconds and turn often. I prefer crispy bacon.

Attachments

• bacon grill hinged - 2019.JPG
    bacon grill hinged - 2019.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Bacon in grill - 2019.JPG
    Bacon in grill - 2019.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 110
  • Bacon plate - 2019.JPG
    Bacon plate - 2019.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 118

Ask a Question