Best sweet pepper varieties - Zone 5?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
Seeking info for NEXT year sweet peppers that grow very well in NE Wisconsin (Zone 4-5). Our season is short. Please share your best varieties that are meaty and grow well in northern climes. This year I had Etuida (gold) and Red Knight bells as well as Giant Marconi Hybrid (red). The bells are meaty, but don't produce as heavily as the Marconi. The Marconi has thinner walls, so I don't get as much meat as from the bells. I love to grow, eat , & freeze red and gold ripe sweet peppers. Want to try different varieties next year that produce even better, thicker walled peppers. I grow my peppers in 5 gallon buckets & 8 gallon pots edging a hot cement patio for maximum heat and best production here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we lived in upstate NY (zone 6) we grew Gypsy peppers. They aren't the big, blocky peppers you see in the grocery, but a tapered variety. They were very prolific, so what you might lose with thick walls you will make up with quantity. Gypsys turn a lovely shade of red when ripe.

Ask a Question