Best fertilizer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What is the best numbered commercial fertilizer to use for root crops such as carrots, beets, turnips etc. I've heard one with a low nitrogen and high potassium and potash number such as 5-15-10. Also for leaf veggies such as greens to use 13-13-13. Do you agree, so give me some ideas and reasons for the ones you use. thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I never use chemical fertilizers as repeated use of them leave salt buildup in the soil, will burn out organic matter and because they feed the plants instead of the soil. I have used Medina Green and Gro organic for years with great success on everything. I also feed my soil every time I water my plants with aerated composted tea made with the Medina fertilizer plus other additives such as fish emulsion, liquid humus, liquid seaweed and always with a little molasses. The number for the Medina is 4-2-3 but there are other organic fertilizers such as Maestro Grow with different formulas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have very rich and wormy soil where I live naturally, so I rarely use commercial fertilizers. I have my own compost pile and add that in every spring.

When I do, it's a product recommended by my wonderful local garden store, "Dr. Earth" all purpose "organic" fertilizer. I am not a number person but am looking at the bag right now and it says 4-4-4.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Like @Chuck, we also do not use chemical fertilizer although we use chemical insecticides when the pest infestation is worse. Our usual fertilizer is the water that is used to wash the meat and fish that came from the market. I don't know what composition it has but the plants and trees seem to be happy with it. We also have a compost bin where we throw all the leftover vegetable and fruit peelings. When they turn into soil, it is called humus, one good fertilizer too.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I usually add Di Ammonium Phosphate (DAP) fertilisers plus manure when planting my root crops. I can later add Calcium Ammonium Nitrates (CAN) fertiliser as a top dress. I think that the type of fertiliser needed depends on the type of soil in your garden. You can do soil sampling to get to know the type of fertiliser you will need.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Vermicompost is probably the best overall balanced single fertilizer, if you had to go with just one.

rick d PADGETT

All about tomatoes
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I never use chemical fertilizers as repeated use of them leave salt buildup in the soil, will burn out organic matter and because they feed the plants instead of the soil. I have used Medina Green and Gro organic for years with great success on everything. I also feed my soil every time I water my plants with aerated composted tea made with the Medina fertilizer plus other additives such as fish emulsion, liquid humus, liquid seaweed and always with a little molasses. The number for the Medina is 4-2-3 but there are other organic fertilizers such as Maestro Grow with different formulas

Chuck
My soil test shows that I have excessive phosphorus and calcium in my soil. The readings go to the top of the bar graph.Don't know how this happened.I compost grass clippings and leaves mixed with some mushroom compost let it rot and apply.Test results say to use no lime and 15-0-15 fertilizer.Do you have any comments on my fertilization situation?
Thanks
Rick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck
My soil test shows that I have excessive phosphorus and calcium in my soil. The readings go to the top of the bar graph.Don't know how this happened.I compost grass clippings and leaves mixed with some mushroom compost let it rot and apply.Test results say to use no lime and 15-0-15 fertilizer.Do you have any comments on my fertilization situation?
Thanks
Rick
Your soi! is the same as mine. A!ka!ine. Don't worry about it. Just use a good we!! ba!!anced organic ferti!izer and forget that chemica! garbage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The best thing you can use is horse or cattle manure, which is both acidic and will add humous to your soil.
Chuck: same goes for you, with the added bonus that you'll get a soil structure that will help your cauliflowers.

Ask a Question