Best Container For Strawberries?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
Every year we grow strawberries. And every year our dog either tramples them down or eats them before they even start to turn red. We usually grow them in a line along the fence but no matter how we try to block it from him, he'll get into them. I can't grow them on the other side of the fence either or the deer will eat them. I nearly put up a second fence just to grow them last year! I think I would spend more on the fence than what I would get from strawberries though. :giggle:

So, this year I'm thinking of growing them in containers. I could put the containers up on a table out of reach of the dog. But I'm wondering what the best type of container is? I've seen some of those tiered containers but I've never used one before. We eat a lot of strawberries around here so I don't think using regular pots would work so well. I wouldn't have enough table space for more than a couple plants.

Anyone have experience with growing strawberries in containers?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I heard that light-colored pots will make the roots cooler. Anyway, you have to make sure that the container you will use have a good drainage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have D shaped pots which |I hang on the fencing.
I also have a 3x3x6ft stake on a ground-spike, from which I hang four baskets, one for each face of the stake.

Ask a Question