Berries in the Spring (Temperate Climate)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Which berries would a temperate climate in the spring (Ranging from 65 Fahrenheit to 75 Fahrenheit) flourish in some fields around here? I know we have wild raspberries on the property and blueberries are a general go to, but what else do you love to plant? Why? Do you use them then in baking or cooking?

Reaction score
Blackberries are great, but don't let them get out of hand. You might also like boysenberries or marionberries. Not sure about mulberries but they are worth looking into.

I wish I had the space to be growing a lot of berries myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your climate sounds like the climate where I live and huckeberries do well around here on top of all the ones mentioned above. I love to go out and pick berries during the warm months so I can make pies, breads, and jams with them. I agree with Dancinglady about the blackberries, if you let them get out of hand, they will take over your yard fast.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blackberries I've already ran into issues with, but thanks for the headsup. They can infest certain regions and no matter how well you think you've got them gone, they pop back up. I'll look into some huckleberries. I already have two strawberry and two blueberry patches ready to go, I was just aiming at putting another one in to vary flavors that I can collect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We don't have any berries around here in the Spring.
Well strawberries in May I suppose, but they're flowers, not real berries.

Reaction score
If you wish to extend the berry season you might try different VARIETIES of strawberries! When I have grown strawberries there has been a big difference in early vs. late.

I do not do well with strawberries: they are too small and helpless! I am now trying them again by planting them in the onion bed, so MAYBE they will get the fiddly sort of care that they need! I am at the onion bed once a every week or so to get an onion, and I pull a few weeds as long I am out there anyways.

I do better with blackberries than strawberries: I do have one patch of blackberries right now and I mow around it every week which slows down the spread of the blackberries considerably! It is looking rather overgrown this winter so I have been nipping at it but there is still a lot to do: I am thinking I might take an electric hedge trimmer to it!

Those blackberries will walk all over me if I let them!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes they grow like wildfire, like they were naturally meant to grow wild whereas the other ones were meant to be constantly tended too.

I love all the suggestions, if there are any types of berries that would do well in a mixture (of berries) in a jam or pie that someone prefers, I'd love to hear about it so I could prioritize my garden even father.

Ask a Question