Bermuda Woes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi all. Currently, all of the Bermuda grass I had growing where I didn't want it seems to be dead. I did put down some weed killer last fall that included Bermuda grass in its list of things it combats. That being said, I don't know if the cold weather killed it, the weed killer killed it, or if it's just dormant. I've never had to deal with Bermuda grass to this extent before.

Also, since I'm not sure if it's dead or dormant, should I treat all of the areas where I don't want it with weed killer or what? It's about time to put down a pre-emergent here, I think, and I don't want to battle that stuff again like I had to last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are talking about the light tan grass areas at this very moment then yes it is dormant. It will be back. I have it in patches here. I'm pretty sure it is burmuda grass anyways. I don't think a pre-emergent is going to do anything with it. Spraying dormant grass with a weed killer is a waste of time and money.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the Bermuda grass is brown and appears to be dead, then it is likely that it was either killed by the weed killer or by the cold weather. However, it is possible that the grass is just dormant and may come back to life when the weather warms up. To determine whether the grass is actually dead, you can try lightly raking or scratching the surface of the grass. If there is no green color or signs of new growth, then the grass is most likely dead.

If you are unsure whether the grass is dead or dormant, you can wait a few weeks to see if any new growth appears before applying any additional weed killer. It's also important to note that if the Bermuda grass is dead, applying weed killer at this point won't have any effect on it. Pre-emergent herbicides can be effective in preventing new weeds and grasses from germinating, but they won't have any impact on existing plants.

If you do decide to apply weed killer, make sure to choose a product that is labeled for use on Bermuda grass and follow the instructions carefully. Keep in mind that some weed killers can be harmful to other plants, so be careful not to apply them too close to desirable plants or in areas where you plan to grow new plants. It may also be a good idea to consult with a local lawn care professional for advice on how to effectively control the Bermuda grass and other weeds in your area.

For more info check this resource
Hi all. Currently, all of the Bermuda grass I had growing where I didn't want it seems to be dead. I did put down some weed killer last fall that included Bermuda grass in its list of things it combats. That being said, I don't know if the cold weather killed it, the weed killer killed it, or if it's just dormant. I've never had to deal with Bermuda grass to this extent before.

Also, since I'm not sure if it's dead or dormant, should I treat all of the areas where I don't want it with weed killer or what? It's about time to put down a pre-emergent here, I think, and I don't want to battle that stuff again like I had to last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are talking about the light tan grass areas at this very moment then yes it is dormant. It will be back. I have it in patches here. I'm pretty sure it is burmuda grass anyways. I don't think a pre-emergent is going to do anything with it. Spraying dormant grass with a weed killer is a waste of time and money.
Yes, I agree. Definitely a waste of time if it does no good. That being said, I'll be applying the pre-emergent anyway because of a lot of other garbage weeds in my yard. We just moved in a year and a half ago, and the previous owners didn't do anything to control weeds. I really want to have a beautiful lawn, but I know it'll probably take a couple seasons. I had a list of weeds in my yard, but I can't find it now. Suffice it to say that it warrants a pre-emergent, and several other steps along the way. I also have some Tenacity in my garage, but I need to get myself a liquid fertilizer to tow behind my tractor for my yard, and I want to make sure I apply it correctly.

My local nursery has a four-step program for spring, summer, fall, winter, and I just put down the first application last fall. Now I need to get the next installment for spring. I'm no expert at this by any stretch of the imagination. I just want to do it right and have a great yard. :) :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I agree completely. As soon as the Bermuda starts to green up, start applying Ornamec. It kills Bermuda and leaves fescue, ryegrass and bluegrass. Kills broadleaf weeds as well.
I'll look into that. I've never heard of that. Is it used in addition to a regular fertilizer/weed killer program?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If the Bermuda grass is brown and appears to be dead, then it is likely that it was either killed by the weed killer or by the cold weather. However, it is possible that the grass is just dormant and may come back to life when the weather warms up. To determine whether the grass is actually dead, you can try lightly raking or scratching the surface of the grass. If there is no green color or signs of new growth, then the grass is most likely dead.

If you are unsure whether the grass is dead or dormant, you can wait a few weeks to see if any new growth appears before applying any additional weed killer. It's also important to note that if the Bermuda grass is dead, applying weed killer at this point won't have any effect on it. Pre-emergent herbicides can be effective in preventing new weeds and grasses from germinating, but they won't have any impact on existing plants.

If you do decide to apply weed killer, make sure to choose a product that is labeled for use on Bermuda grass and follow the instructions carefully. Keep in mind that some weed killers can be harmful to other plants, so be careful not to apply them too close to desirable plants or in areas where you plan to grow new plants. It may also be a good idea to consult with a local lawn care professional for advice on how to effectively control the Bermuda grass and other weeds in your area.

For more info check this resource
Thanks for the great information!

Ask a Question