Belfast/Butler sink waterfall project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi started work on the above project yesterday a few pictures of my progress only a couple of hours work to get it to this stage, i will update this thread as more work is done.

Today i gave the sinks a coat of bitumen in preparation for making them look like stone in the link below they use PVA glue

Hopefully tomorrow i will get the cement mixture moulded round them, i do have some natural stone ive collected to finish the project off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like an interesting project! I'm looking forward to seeing the sink once it has been made to look like stone :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like an interesting project! I'm looking forward to seeing the sink once it has been made to look like stone :)

Hi Becky thank you, not much of the sink is seen with the sand and cement mix on this project just the inside of them to take my eye of the white.

More progress made today its still work in progress but coming together.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I shall be watching the progress on this with interest. Having had a go at a pond in a hip bath go a bit wrong, and wondering how to go about a waterfall that actually works.
At the moment I've turned the pump off altogether, and am still counting to ten......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi J hope all is well, its the points where the sinks join that's vulnerable to leaks ive used concrete at the joints then i am applying a strong sand and cement mix its important to give it time to cure,

Its something ive never tried before so it might be a bit of trial and error hopefully it will work a treat time will tell :).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a great project idea.
I have a couple (or four) butler sinks that I have had a variety of ideas for, but, I'm liking this idea. Watching with interest how it develops.
Looking great so far.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a great project idea.
I have a couple (or four) butler sinks that I have had a variety of ideas for, but, I'm liking this idea. Watching with interest how it develops.
Looking great so far.

Thanks lets hope it works i don't see any reasons why not the top sink might be a bit on the small side but i can position the hand pump close to the water level to avoid too much splashing,

I had a plastic waterfall before the birds tend to use the waterfall rather than the pond to drink and bathe i do have a nice area for them in the pond it does get used occasionally. i need to create areas in the waterfall that's accessible for drinking and bathing, i will keep the thread up to date and do a small video on completion if its successful.

June 2018 its only a small pond but added so much interest to the garden it was made mid 2017.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i gave the waterfall a test today it works great no leaks i need to do a little work to hide the top sink and get some ivy/moss or something growing over it in time it should blend in nice,

Ive put a bag of pea gravel in two of the sinks one bag in each its made the water cloudy it will settle in time the gravel will act as a filter,

A small video of it working i am getting plenty of noise just what i wanted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thank you for posting the video it really does make a great focal point. You are obviously a very creative (and talented) person.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor.... righto, now I shall have to start mine all over again....... :clown:

Thanks Tetters if you like what you've done leave it, its all about what you like in your garden.

thank you for posting the video it really does make a great focal point. You are obviously a very creative (and talented) person.

Many thanks for your kind words AS but i wouldn't go as far as that, i need to choose some nice flowering plants some suitable ones in this link.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trouble is nitraMartin I'm fed up with what I've done - it went all wrong. If at first you don't succeed - put can't in your pocket and pull try out aye :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trouble is nitraMartin I'm fed up with what I've done - it went all wrong. If at first you don't succeed - put can't in your pocket and pull try out aye :giggle:

If your not happy with it have another go then gardens are personal spaces and as long as your happy with it or not in this case thats all that matters, no doubt i will swap and change a few rocks pebbles around on this project i know it will look at its best with a few years on its back and a few established plants around it trouble is i am impatient but you cant rush nature :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for your kind words AS but i wouldn't go as far as that, i need to choose some nice flowering plants
You are modest with it ;-)
A while ago I put together a "container" pond and one of the most beautiful flowering pond plants (aside from the well re known water lily, of course) was a lobelia cardinalis (sp?) - gorgeous red foliage which then sent up a tall stem which produced red flowers. I checked it out only this morning and fresh growth is under way. Fingers crossed for a healthy plume of flowers this summer! No special protection through the Winter months (although, it has been a mild one other than the odd snow day or three). Have a search on it and I think it may be right up your street (would look stunning in your pond arangement!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are modest with it ;-)
A while ago I put together a "container" pond and one of the most beautiful flowering pond plants (aside from the well re known water lily, of course) was a lobelia cardinalis (sp?) - gorgeous red foliage which then sent up a tall stem which produced red flowers. I checked it out only this morning and fresh growth is under way. Fingers crossed for a healthy plume of flowers this summer! No special protection through the Winter months (although, it has been a mild one other than the odd snow day or three). Have a search on it and I think it may be right up your street (would look stunning in your pond arangement!)

Lol i hated school not very good with a pen and paper or a keyboard so i had to be useful at something :LOL:

Many thanks i have a similar looking plant in the pond unsure whats its called

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hyujos

Latest Threads