Before you spray those weeds...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Did you know that many, if not most of the plants that gardeners think of as weeds are actually beneficial to the garden in some way, and some are even useful as medicines or foods? The best way to control weeds is to pull them before they flower and set seeds.

c8698f73423ef3b38b04ab3872fde3c9.jpg

More info: http://nwfarmsandfood.com/index.php/what-weeds-can-tell-about-the-soil

In larger growing areas this may not be the most practical approach, but that is where tools like the trusty garden hoe come in handy. For large plots, there's always tillers, but poisons should be avoided at all cost. It may take a little work, but in the long run, it will be worth it.

More links on the benefits of "weeds" can be found at:
http://hermionesgarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/beneficial-weeds.html
http://gentleworld.org/weeds-worth-growing/
http://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...-zmaz87jazgoe.aspx?ViewAll=True#axzz2SAjZS9WQ

Reaction score
I have always wondered about the benefits of weeds for our gardens. I haven't started my compost yet but now I know to add some weeds to it. I usually pull the weeds and leave them above ground for a couple days, mainly because I'm too lazy to gather them all and toss them. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have always wondered about the benefits of weeds for our gardens. I haven't started my compost yet but now I know to add some weeds to it. I usually pull the weeds and leave them above ground for a couple days, mainly because I'm too lazy to gather them all and toss them. :p

Carry a bucket with you as you pull, or a plastic bag. You could even carry a paper bag and compost the pulled weeds and bag together since your bin will need some "browns" to balance out all of those greens. Also, try and weed in sections; that way you only spend so much time each day at it, but it still gets done. :)

Reaction score
Great idea about the brown bag, Chanell. I have several bags so I will be sure to use that next time. I am fairly good at keeping up with all the weeds. I only let it go during the winter months because I don't like to be outside in the cold, well, anything under 75*. :)

I do not like to use poisons, like Round Up, to kill the weeds. I've read that it is a type of Agent Orange but I'm not entirely sure. I've seen the health effects first hand from Agent Orange since my dad is a disabled Vietnam Vet, so I am afraid to use any chemicals around my home.

Besides, getting outside and pulling weeds may be a dreadful task to some people but I think its very therapeutic. :D

Reaction score
Thank God most of the time the only weed I have do deal with is basil.. lol yes it does keep getting into the other containers and starting new plants. Rarely I have grass growing in my containers. All I have to do when I pull out the basil is to store them in zip lock bags in my fridge or just give some to my neighbours who are always happy to get some basil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
... I only let it go during the winter months because I don't like to be outside in the cold, well, anything under 75*. :)
I do not like to use poisons, like Round Up, to kill the weeds. I've read that it is a type of Agent Orange...
Besides, getting outside and pulling weeds may be a dreadful task to some people but I think its very therapeutic. :D

LOL, under 75??? Ha! You would have been freezing in New Orleans over the weekend! It's only 67 today and it's noon! I'll take it though, since it's better than being in the 80s. I'm hoping to not see anything about 75 until at least mid June.

You're right abut Roundup and there is a definite zen to weeding the garden - perhaps because it allows us to do some mental weeding as we go.

Thank God most of the time the only weed I have do deal with is basil.. lol yes it does keep getting into the other containers and starting new plants...

I finally have that darned Thai basil under control and I am afraid to plant more! I have lemon basil growing right now and I need to start the Italian, but that Thai stuff...

Reaction score
I finally have that darned Thai basil under control and I am afraid to plant more! I have lemon basil growing right now and I need to start the Italian, but that Thai stuff...
Mine was lemon basil that went out of control. The trick is to ensure that they don't go to seed. I was away for a few days and looks like the seeds have gotten into all the containers with the help of some strong gusts of wind. But, I love basil and I can chop them into my salads anytime. :D

Reaction score
As I pull weeds I put them into a pile next to where I am working. After I am done with that section, I take a garbage bag and toss the whole weed pile into the garbage back (this is in the start of the season when weeds are everywhere.) I usually have a bunch of weeds, maple seeds (if I don't get them in time I have baby maple trees to pull too) and other stuff that I may find in the garden to throw away.

I find it easier to pick up the piles to throw them out then to pick up the various weeds spread across the garden.

Reaction score
Great idea about the brown bag, Chanell. I have several bags so I will be sure to use that next time. I am fairly good at keeping up with all the weeds. I only let it go during the winter months because I don't like to be outside in the cold, well, anything under 75*. :)

I do not like to use poisons, like Round Up, to kill the weeds. I've read that it is a type of Agent Orange but I'm not entirely sure. I've seen the health effects first hand from Agent Orange since my dad is a disabled Vietnam Vet, so I am afraid to use any chemicals around my home.

I couldn't agree more with that last sentence! Although it is a task...I actually enjoy it as much as like I enjoy planting and watering! It is VERY therapeutic! <3

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Mine was lemon basil that went out of control. The trick is to ensure that they don't go to seed. I was away for a few days and looks like the seeds have gotten into all the containers with the help of some strong gusts of wind. But, I love basil and I can chop them into my salads anytime. :D

I would love if the lemon basil was everywhere, it smells so wonderful! What I do now is only let one variety of basil bloom at a time. That way I don't have to worry about cross pollination. I don't mind if the seeds end up in another pot, I just let them grow a little and then remove the plants and use them or give them away.

Reaction score
I would love if the lemon basil was everywhere, it smells so wonderful! What I do now is only let one variety of basil bloom at a time. That way I don't have to worry about cross pollination. I don't mind if the seeds end up in another pot, I just let them grow a little and then remove the plants and use them or give them away.
That is what I thought too .. until they became like weeds. Now I am careful with my Italian basil and the locally grown one.. I never let them go to seed. I keep cutting them back and they seem to keep growing nice and bushy.
I had the same problem with peppermint. I had to keep pulling them out so much so that I have to buy peppermint when I need some now. Hanging pots seem to keep these in their place.
I have never had any issues with rosemary or thyme or coriander.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I need to get more herbs. I don't cook with rosemary, but I love the smell of it. I have one peppermint plant, but it doesn't have good drainage so it hasn't been growing well. I really need to re-pot it, but because it spreads so I want a container that will allow it room to spread out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have one of those garden carts, so when I am working in the yard and garden and pulling out weeds, I toss all of them right into the garden cart, and then it all sit in there for a few says until it has wilted, and then put it on the compost pile, or till it in if I am working on a little garden area that needs tilled.
About the basil, I love it also, but so far, it has never gone out of control, and I wouldn't mind at all if it does spread.... I just love the smell and the taste of any kind of basil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's easy to have a large pile of "weeds" really quickly. There is a plant invading the pot my largest hibiscus is in. It actually looks like one of the beneficial plants people dismiss as a weed, only I have no way of determining for certain if it is. I'll probably end up pulling all of it and putting it in the compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Have you tried looking on the "Eat the Weeds " webpage ? I love that website, and have been able to identify some of the edibles that are out in my back yard. I do try just a tiny bit of something at first, just to make sure it was actually the plant that I think I am eating. And also to decide if this is something I want to add to my food or not.
I really love my dandelions, and have added some to my green smoothies, but I like them a lot better as cooked greens, with just a dab of meat, and maybe some onions and carrots, and other mixed greens like spinach or turnip greens.

Ask a Question