Beets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I am in my 50s. had never tasted a beet until yesterday. Grew them this year with the idea of adding them in a veggie juice for canning.
pulled 15 yesterday. took 6 of them and put olive oil on them, wrapped them in foil and baked for 30 min.

absolutely love the taste. made a arugula salad with beets and could not believe how amazing they taste. ate more today baked and by themselves.
man what i have been missing out on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Cooking beets. Pull from garden, lightly remove dirt. Cut top and cook separate like spinach. Do not cut top too close to bulb or they will bleed. Do not cut tail. Steam about 30 minutes until a fork will penetrate or boil in water. When soft run under cold water. Skin will slip off effortlessly. Butter and eat. Excellent food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Love Beets. and they make you pee pink. on another note. I cook with them in more unique ways than most. On line there is a Chocolate Beet Cake recipe, made it and its yummy. and for the Red Velvet Cake I use the beet juice in it instead of man made yuck red food coloring. Simmer cook the beets like normal in water, take the beets out, and then reduce the water some, let chill and use as the liquid amount.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I'll have my beets pickled please. And for sure don't even think of pouring the remaining liquid down the drain when the jar is empty. That liquid makes the best pickled eggs ever possible. All Recipes has instructions for pickled beets and possibly pickled eggs too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that beets are very good for you. Isn't it the Poles and Russians who make beetroot soup? On the subject of beets causing you to pee pink/red. As much as I enjoy them, thankfully I hadn't eaten any when I started to pee red. My glorious technicolour was due to bladder cancer. Never mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
@skinyea - now you're opening a new world

I typically use my pressure cooker to quickly cook fresh beets. Then slip them from the skins, slice, and drizzle with red-wine vinegar.

Try some of the others like the candy-cane striped beets or golden beets.
I just ordered Golden beet seeds today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do beets several ways, soup, pickled, fermented and more. I'm not a fan of them fresh for whatever reason.

And yes, eat enough and you'll have colorful excrement. My wife freaked out the first time I got her to try beet soup. Now we joke about it.

Ask a Question