Beefsteak tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice to meet you all. Any special advice on how to grow Beefsteak tomatoes? Something went wrong, and as far as I'm not experienced enough can't figure out why tomatoes grew smaller than expected, and not as much, as I thought it should be. I tested the soil, and it seems to be fine, and I have no idea what may be the reason. I am from Florida, planted in March, but it did not work out. Should have asked earlier
P.S. I'd also appreciate someone who owns chickens to explain to me what. I guess, chicken coop for ten chickens, feeder, nutrients. I mean, I saw a couple of guides but the are redirecting to like 10 more articles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Its been a cool year generally. Tomato likes a warmer climate than we had here this spring in mid Alabama. By chance were they curly on top and did you use black kow composted manure?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome Lloyd. Any pictures of your tomatoes? Pictures might help with some analysis.

Also, are you asking about the cost or what for ten chickens? Sorry, didn't understand. I've found the best chicken coops for relatively small numbers of chickens are those you build yourself....cheaper and better. Again, welcome.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Did you plant them deep enough? If you plant the the seedling up to the first set of leaves, roots will develop and the plants might become stronger. What is your feeding regime please? Tomatoes are hungry plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you plant your roots deeper, all you do is waste the growing season whilst your plants develop a second set of roots to compensate for the first ones you've just buried.
Tomatoes would have the means of growing roots all along the tap root if it was of any benefit whatsoever.
An urban myth that seems to have caught hold, unfortunately.
Hundred of thousands of UK tomato growers grow exceptionally well in growbags which are 2 or 3 inches thick.

growing-tomatoes-in-growbags-in-a-greenhouse.jpg

From the BBC:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
If you plant your roots deeper, all you do is waste the growing season whilst your plants develop a second set of roots to compensate for the first ones you've just buried.
Tomatoes would have the means of growing roots all along the tap root if it was of any benefit whatsoever.
An urban myth that seems to have caught hold, unfortunately.
Hundred of thousands of UK tomato growers grow exceptionally well in growbags which are 2 or 3 inches thick.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank You I knew this for years. First time I saw it in print.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Is Alan T referring to beefsteak toms though!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Monty talked about it in GW in one of the last 2 episodes.

Your beefsteak tomato crop will grow better when planted deeper in your garden than you would in containers. When transplanting your crop, ensure that the soil almost reaches the lowest leaves.

Guide to Growing Beefsteak Tomatoes - Gardening Channel

How to Care for Beefsteak Tomato Plants | Home Guides | SF ...
homeguides.sfgate.com › Garden › Gardening

Unlike most plants, beefsteaks do better if planted deeper than they were grown in containers. Don't skimp on fertilizer if you want big, juicy beefsteaks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Monty talked about it in GW in one of the last 2 episodes.

Your beefsteak tomato crop will grow better when planted deeper in your garden than you would in containers. When transplanting your crop, ensure that the soil almost reaches the lowest leaves.
Guide to Growing Beefsteak Tomatoes - Gardening Channel

How to Care for Beefsteak Tomato Plants | Home Guides | SF ...
homeguides.sfgate.com › Garden › Gardening

Unlike most plants, beefsteaks do better if planted deeper than they were grown in containers. Don't skimp on fertilizer if you want big, juicy beefsteaks.
Thanks for the article. One more thing. Is this forum only for gardeners? No farmer threads at all. Wanted to talk about how to set up a chicken coop. There are a lot of youtube videos, though..Whatever. Thanks for the guide, again

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This is a nice forum with good saving options, generous allowance for photographs, marvellous uploading speed, and nobody bans you from posting by referring you to a donation page.

Try starting one. Don't give up. You could always refer to the thread next year to chart your progress or to find out what you've managed to kill ... Alas, it happens to me too often.

Now, where are my beloved streptocarpus?

Have fun! That's what life is all about!

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a nice forum with good saving options, generous allowance for photographs, marvellous uploading speed, and nobody bans you from posting by referring you to a donation page.

Try starting one. Don't give up. You could always refer to the thread next year to chart your progress or to find out what you've managed to kill ... Alas, it happens to me too often.

Now, where are my beloved streptocarpus?

Have fun! That's what life is all about!
Were you talking to me? Did not get what's that about

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Were you talking to me? Did not get what's that about

I thought I was talking to you. Should have quoted your post. You could start a thread. If people don't respond, you could use your thread as a diary or record so that you can compare your input and output in your veg plots year in year out. Don't worry if people don't contribute as some people like to consume ...

BEEFSTEAK TOMS: Also, you could remove the lower leaves of your tomato plants and leave those close to the flowers and hence potential fruits. This improves the air flow and concentrates the energy for the fruits to become bigger.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I was talking to you. Should have quoted your post. You could start a thread. If people don't respond, you could use your thread as a diary or record so that you can compare your input and output in your veg plots year in year out. Don't worry if people don't contribute as some people like to consume ...

BEEFSTEAK TOMS: Also, you could remove the lower leaves of your tomato plants and leave those close to the flowers and hence potential fruits. This improves the air flow and concentrates the energy for the fruits to become bigger.
Yeah, I know that (speaking of tomatoes), I've done everything needed already. Just watched several videos on some youtube gardening channels Will see.
I was more a lurker, don't think I could contribute a lot. Are you related somehow to the channel you advised? Or that's a random one. I mean, a friend of mine owns a website and looking for gardening experts to consult him. They review products from Amazon, check out this article. That's just a random thought, he told me they need new guys

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Lloyd_W : Thank you very much. Very kind of you. Don't think I am qualified. I'm just one with a good memory for things I am interested in. Any way, not a fan of Amazon. I like things ethical, fair and I believe in level playing field. Not a criticism of your friend. But that's just what I am.

Ask a Question