Battling pine tree roots

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm wary of putting down liners in a raised bed also but I have another problem I'm dealing with at my location. Next to my garden is a large row of older pine trees. (not my trees) I am battling the roots of these trees. So, I'm thinking perhaps raised beds with some sort (what material?) or barrier to block their roots but I am worried I'll be creating some other problem. Ideas and comments are welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
No liner/barrier will stop the invasion of pine tree roots. All I can suggest is using beds that have a base like a planter and are raised off the ground on feet or something similar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I had to look up 'sawzall' DM. I've never heard of it but I do know what a reciprocating saw is. Are you suggesting permanent removal of the pines? ;)
The demolition blades can cut metal and do a fair job on soil. You can slice roots down to as much as 18 inches with some blades. Not fun, but doable. This is the idea of girdling the soil around a garden to prevent roots from thieving water and nutrients.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. I am of the mind to put a permanent barrier almost like the tray you would use for a potted plant. But if I do that then how deep does the bed need to be? AND am I then limited to what types of vegetables I should attempt in that bed?
One of the replies I've gotten (I posted this thread in 2 places) says that if I make the raised bed at least 10" deep that would mitigate the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Screenshot_20220424-113503.png

An unlined raised bed would develop feeder root problems also. Whether the plants need a certain depth of bed can be addressed and is not the problem. The problem is it gets more expensive the higher you go. Add a hassle factor as well. Off the ground beds are possible but $wow$. A tomato from the ISS is not something we can afford. Cutting a trench, maybe using come copper crystals like is used in sewer lines for roots might be some effort but metals last. But its not a perfect idea by any means. This is why the UK has begun rejecting the spraying of organic copper fungicides, as the copper hangs around and stops root growth too at a certain build up level. The use of salt wont last as long as metals as water moves it downwards. Anyway, since pines are mainly tap root type trees I thought trenching to be reasonable.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Dear Dirt Mechanic,
TY for your replies. My nephew owns the property where my garden exists. He's a builder to boot! It seems like you're suggesting off the ground beds and then discounting them because of cost. Just asking so I understand fully. Is cost the only thing that would stop you from using off the ground beds? Also - I'm going to talk to him regarding trenching. There is only about 4 feet between the north fence on my garden (50 ft long) and the trunks of those pines. So it's tight but not impossible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, of course. The amount of grit in your salad is probably non existant because so much of our leaf veggies are grown in hydroponic warehouses. If you effort your own "in ground" you will know what I mean. But for the small grower such efforts are ridiculous from a cost perspective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have plenty of white pines here. It is a very bumpy ride to mow around them and it seems to get worse every year.

Ask a Question