Basil problems

Reaction score
I'm growing basil from seeds and it's looking awful. Is this some type of mold?
Is it fixable at all? I included a photo.
Thanks

Attachments

• basil.jpg
    basil.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 505
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm I'm not sure! Could be a type of mildew, but spots like that can also be caused by sunburn or nutrient deficiencies. Where are you growing them?

Reaction score
I'm growing them in a pot in my backyard. They dont get sun all day. I might move them to a more shaded area and see what happens

Reaction score
Janet - Basil needs very bright light for it grow well and preferably at least 6 hours of sunlight - so as yours in currently living in an area that gets no sun - moving it to an even more shady area - will probably only make the problem worse.

Many varieties of Basil are prone to fungal diseases and pests but particularly downy mildew - which can to some degree be prevented - by growing the plants in an area where they get the correct amount of light - together with not over-watering them - as well as only watering in the morning - preferably before the sun gets up as that way - any excess moisture can evaporate before nightfall - as these spores thrive in cool, dark damp conditions :)

Reaction score
Janet - Although its quite difficult to tell from your photograph - I'm more than sure that your basil is suffering with a least powdery mildew and maybe even has some additional fungal or pest problems.

However the news is not good - as once powdery mildew sets in - it is very difficult to eradicate and as it is something that can very quickly spread to other plants - it is normally best to discard the plant and the soil that its growing in and start again - which as basil is easily replaced because it grows very quickly - would I think - be the best thing to do.

Reaction score
Gata: Thank you so much. I will throw it away

You're welcome - just sorry that I was the bringer of such bad news - but hopefully now that you know what basil needs in order to thrive - your future plants will all be strong and healthy :)

Reaction score
I am not sure what that is, but I would kill it so it does not spread to the rest of your garden. It looks like a fungus of some sort....

Ask a Question