Basil leaves curling upwards

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Hi there, I've been growing a few herbs indoors over the course of the winter.
Most of them have been very productive, however I've been having trouble getting a good basil going.
I've had several ideas surrounding it, it might be temperature related, since it's in the basement it gets cool there during the night, about 50F at night, 60F during the day. Growth has been really slow, some seeds did not germinate at all.
Then when some seeds did sprout, as I said, growth was really slow but there was some nonetheless.
Now it's past it's cotyledon stage and growing new nodes of leaves.
Here's the problem, the new leaves appear curled / cupped upwards.
I thought it might be calcium / magnesium deficiency so I gave it a drench with epsom salts and calcium powder.
Also another thought was that it is just too cold down there for it to grow properly.
Any other suggestions ?
Here's a picture I made today after applying magnesium and calcium.

20170221_133353.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am no plant expert and have no experience growing basil, but if your leaves aren't browning or showing any signs of pest/disease, is there really much of a problem? they look completely fine and beautiful to me. Maybe water it a bit less and let the leaves get a bit droopy, they may uncurl.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My guess is you need more heat - I don't know if that's causing your leaf curl but basil thrives at a higher temp - Here in Seattle we don't put basil or tomatoes for that matter out until it's at least 65. Get a grow light or a heat pad for under it and it'll take off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Agree with the previous... my guess is it's getting too cool at night, and/or getting too much water.
Basil is native to hot, dry climates. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I believe it is Zone 8
Country
United States
I agree, I read that basil does better in temps above 60 degrees. Can you bring the basil up to your level and by a window that gets good sun?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is most likely the cold. Basil likes warmer temps. The curling could also be due to too much light intensity...leaves will sometimes curl upwards to protect themselves from intense light.

Ask a Question