Basil indoors

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im trying to grow basil inside on my desk with cfls. I have very little gardening experience and am doing this more as a fun activity that probably will fail. I planted some seeds in 24 4x4in containers and have yet to thin them out. From research ive done so far, all of my seedlings have their seed leaves, need around 70 degree F heat and humidity. Ive constructed a little green house type thing made out of wood dowels and saran wrap. Im planning on adding aluminum foil around as soon as I get the final design down. My question is is what kind of cfls should i put over my plants? right now theres 2 bulbs about 10 in above the plants 1 warm and one daylight. I leave them on for about 13 hours with a timer. Also any other tips to increase survival rate would be greatly appreciated.

Going for low cost here. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
You don't mention what kind of bulbs/lumens you have now but any source of light is better than none.

I have never grown basil indoors but was thinking about trying it with some of the seeds I have collected. I love bruschetta!

Natural sunlight - windowsill is far superior to any artificial lighting so if you are able to supplement the daylight hours with cfl's to extend the plant's number of hours of daylight, Just keep turning the plants so that they don't end up with a permanent "lean" toward the window.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have some basil growing on my kitchen windowsill. This is my first year bringing some basil indoors to grow in the house. Please keep us posted on the progress, welcome to gardening---it's a fun activity that brings so much wonder to a person's life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I just planted some basil and other herbs on my kitchen windowsill and lately the plants have been getting less and less sunlight. It's my first time doing this so I am really hoping for the best. I'm also looking forward to hearing about your tips for increasing the survival rate of the herbs.

Ask a Question