Basil disease?

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Hello,

Obviously, a few days ago my basil plants were attacked by some munching insects, so the leaves have holes in them. However, the top leaves are noticeably swollen (picture). I tried to look it up on the internet but found no luck. Is this some kind of diseases or pest-caused problems? Also, I have been growing it for months but it hasnt flowered yet...

Your help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20170903_120749.jpg
    20170903_120749.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 20170903_120809.jpg
    20170903_120809.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 235
Ad

Advertisements

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Looks like a virus, probably caused by the insect attack :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have found that 3 things will cause the distorted leaves. Insects, too much fertilizer and too cool temperatures.

Reaction score
Country
Japan
I have found that 3 things will cause the distorted leaves. Insects, too much fertilizer and too cool temperatures.

I put these in a pot with soil and scrap vegetables. They were growing well since then. Plus its still warm where I live, so I guess it is the insects. Thank you very much ;)
Welcome to the forums :)

Looks like a virus, probably caused by the insect attack :(

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I will try to pinch these leaves out to see what happen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
jolyblue, you don't want your basil to flower. Flowering changes the taste, and the plant thinks it has done its reproductive thing and can die off. I pinch out the very first sign of flowering (the incipient flowers look like tiny green pine cones) and prolong the usefulness of the basil.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Japan
jolyblue, you don't want your basil to flower. Flowering changes the taste, and the plant thinks it has done its reproductive thing and can die off. I pinch out the very first sign of flowering (the incipient flowers look like tiny green pine cones) and prolong the usefulness of the basil.
I very much love the foverer-coming basil leaves :p Yet, I havent seen basil flowers and also want to save some seeds. So I have been thinking about leaving them to flower :)

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question