Barrel planter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wife decided she wanted this planter. I'm not a big fan of the flower combo, but glad Mrs Vette decided to get into the flowers. I wanted to do a small Rose of Sharon surrounded by petunias or something tropical looking.

My question is, do I use a shallow liner to keep moisture and dirt off the wood, preserving it a bit and minimizing the amount of dirt needed? Or just fill 'er up? It's hot here in the summer, which will keep temps down? The liner is black and doors over the edge of the barrel. Thoughts?

IMG_20190508_161849020_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
oh..what? you should google betadine. Its just fungus rotting wood after all. Perhaps you mix it with some laundry borax? I built a shed with borax impregnated panels and left some pieces in the wood. Its been 3 years and they have not rotted, even though they are the followup to louisiana-pacific and its famous oriented strand board failure prior to the great recession.

Its boric acid impregnated osb and its badass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As far as I know, betadine is an antiseptic solution (iodine). While I follow that it would kill the fungus as that is it's function. I can't figure how one would apply it to wood and how long it's effect would last as I believe in order to have the desired effect on fungi, the chemical must be applied directly to the fungi wet. I'm also unclear as to it's effect on plants.

But you have made me curious enough to research it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That wood was charred and soaked in booze for a number of years if it is a real whisky barrel? I think it may be pickled already. There are also liquid treated wood preservatives one can paint on that are copper based. You could paint on the betadine or dissolved borax solution. Then if you line it with 4mil plastic you will be fine. You could also use the shower pan pvc membrane, which can be cut to shape and then seamlessly glued together for a waterproof and robust liner. Personally, I would just paint it with Redgard, a polymer liquid liner also used in showers. Its literally red, so a latex paint on top of it is necessary. I built a doghouse out of regular scrap plywood and painted the hinged roof with redgard and then outdoor paint. While Fossy rarely used it, it did sit outside for more than 10 years and actually rotted from the bottom up. Redgard may be too good or expensive for a planter, so those flex seal commercials come to mind, There are a lot of liquid rubber products that could be sprayed or painted on, and the one kids are spraying on their cars comes in a large variety of colors. Its a peel off coating made of the rubber used on handles of tools, and most auto parts stores carry cans of it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since you don't need that much dirt to plant things in, why not put a fake bottom in and then leave the plants in the pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since you don't need that much dirt to plant things in, why not put a fake bottom in and then leave the plants in the pots.
I've got one of those, but it doesn't fit that well and I'm worried about heat. I'm may do that and see how it goes this summer though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fill part of the bottom up with old recyclables, like empty plastic water/soda bottles, containers from CoffeeMate, old cans, just to fill up part of the bottom that you won't need. Put either a piece of old screen material over it, or an old plastic garden bag with slits cut into it so the water can drain. Then you can plant directly into the dirt in the barrel. That way it's less dirt, less heavy if you need to move it, and the larger dirt area won't be drying out as much as smaller individual planters placed inside would.

Edit: I rather like the flower color combination! It has the look of more old-fashioned type flowers, which goes well with the old barrel.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got one of those, but it doesn't fit that well and I'm worried about heat. I'm may do that and see how it goes this summer though.
I can't see where heat will be a problem. As far as fitting just stuff some rags along the edge so that not much can fall through. Then keep the plants in the pots and fill around them with mulch. You won't see the pots but you can still water everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can't see where heat will be a problem. As far as fitting just stuff some rags along the edge so that not much can fall through. Then keep the plants in the pots and fill around them with mulch. You won't see the pots but you can still water everything.
I just filled the liner with soil and planted directly into that. It's only about a third of the depth of the barrel. It's pretty hot and sunny here, sometimes pots dry out REALLY fast requiring frequent watering. Hopefully this will hold a little better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Add as much mulch as you can and that will hold the water like a sponge. Also, there is potting soil that holds water. Scotts and Miricle Grow both make it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have several half-barrel planters, both reused oak wine barrels and new redwood barrel planters. I've never treated them with anything and they can last for decades. Maybe they wouldroy quicker in a more humid climate, but then again, the inside of a planter is somewhat humid everywhere.
What I do advocate is filling the entire barrel (or any container) with soil. being stingy with potting soil will lead to reduced root systems. The great thing about half-barrels is how much root space they allow. They're great for growing container plants to robust dimensions with less frequent watering or water stress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That wood was charred and soaked in booze for a number of years if it is a real whisky barrel? I think it may be pickled already. There are also liquid treated wood preservatives one can paint on that are copper based. You could paint on the betadine or dissolved borax solution. Then if you line it with 4mil plastic you will be fine. You could also use the shower pan pvc membrane, which can be cut to shape and then seamlessly glued together for a waterproof and robust liner. Personally, I would just paint it with Redgard, a polymer liquid liner also used in showers. Its literally red, so a latex paint on top of it is necessary. I built a doghouse out of regular scrap plywood and painted the hinged roof with redgard and then outdoor paint. While Fossy rarely used it, it did sit outside for more than 10 years and actually rotted from the bottom up. Redgard may be too good or expensive for a planter, so those flex seal commercials come to mind, There are a lot of liquid rubber products that could be sprayed or painted on, and the one kids are spraying on their cars comes in a large variety of colors. Its a peel off coating made of the rubber used on handles of tools, and most auto parts stores carry cans of it.
Actually, the "barrel" shown in the photo is not a genuine barrel, it's a decorative planter made to look somewhat like one. The wood is not oak and and it will not withstand water - or any other liquid - for a long time without deteriorating unless it is treated. Nor will it be waterproof. True barrels have they curved shape for a good reason as they swell and form a water tight seal. Though it does appear that his one has slightly tongue and grooved edges to the staves, but probably only to help it maintain it's shape.

Incidentally, only booze barrels are charred inside to age the liquor and help change it's color and flavor. Wine barrels are not charred. Even half genuine barrels often do not stay together very well and you need to insert screws at intervals through the steel hoops. Only a complete barrel is structurally stable due to it's shape.

Ask a Question