Bamboo plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my absolutely favorite indoor plants is bamboo. I find these plants are very easy to look after and grow pretty fast. I especially love the "curly" stems. I've had a plant for about 15 years.

Recently I noticed some of my bamboo leaves are turning yellow and falling off. This hasn't happened before so I am worried it is starting to die. I've cut them off in hopes to keep the plant alive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I know, the usual cause of the yellowing leaves of the bamboo is the weather. It is a tropical plant so it needs lots of sunshine. We have a huge bamboo grove in our extended garden that is in the vacant lot beside our property. It is very healthy with big long poles because of the ample sunshine. So my advice is for you to put out your bamboo plant for sunning at least 2 days each week. That's what we do with our indoor plants for their dosage of sunlight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've own a few Bamboo plants over the years and my best advice for keeping those yellow leaves away. Is to keep them by a lot of light and heat. So sitting them near a heater/fire place and keep them by lamps and day windows. They should be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That plant is with you for 15 years, and did you ever have this problem before? I never thought that we could keep bamboo indoor but I might now :) Maybe you just move it to a new location to see if it makes a different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Bamboo plants need a lot of water.
I remember I had one when I was a teenager. It was big and really pretty. I liked it, because it was growing really fast:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That plant is with you for 15 years, and did you ever have this problem before? I never thought that we could keep bamboo indoor but I might now :) Maybe you just move it to a new location to see if it makes a different.
I have to say this is the EASIEST plant to keep alive. I give it a lot of light and a lot of water. It is currently in a vase with rocks and water. I do pick off the yellow leaves and maintain the plant pretty well. However, I found that typically my other plants don't live nearly as long.

It also used to grow very fast. It kind of stopped growing as fast and I am wondering if it is because the vase isn't big enough. If it starts to show signs that it is dying I will move it to another vase but as for now I will leave it as is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always admired the bamboo plant but I never considered growing one. Since I am a beginner I need something easy to take care of. You guys have given wonderful information and encouragement! The next time I am in the nursery bamboo will be top on my list.

Ask a Question